Chapter 35

'Hi Ochaco, Izuku.' Y/N nodded in acknowledgement as she stepped into the monitory room. 'Hey!' Ochaco gave her friend a quick hug and turned back to the screen.

A long silence ensued. 'I think that's the real Ectoplasm down there.' Y/N commented, breaking it. Suddenly, a giant copy of Ectoplasm materialised. 'I think we'd do better against Ectoplasm, honestly.' Sero mused, staring at the screen. 'We have an advantage against Midnight too, don't forget that.' Y/N reassured, patting Sero's shoulder comfortingly.

'Asui, look out!' Tokoyami yelled. Y/n, down in the monitory room, giggled. 'He cares so much, that's cute.' Giant Ectoplasm caught Tsuyu and Tokoyami, glueing them to the sticky, slime-like substance. But Tsuyu managed to hook the handcuffs onto Ectoplasm's foot, thus securing their win. 'They won!' Y/N cried happily, hugging a flustered Izuku and Ochaco. 'Yeah, I'm proud of them.' Izuku mumbled, turning the shade of a cherry. 

'Asui and Tokoyami have passed the finals.'

'Iida and Ojiro have passed the finals.'

'Wow. That's fast. It's Shoto's turn, isn't it?' Y/N asked, a bead of sweat rolling down the bridge of her nose as she clasped her hands in front of her as a prayer- a habit she had picked up from occasionally hanging around Ibara Shiozaki. 'I hope they win.' She whispered, studying the screen intently. 'Please let them win.'

'It's our turn now, let's go.' Shoto stated, talking to an inattentive Momo. 'What's up with Yao?' Y/N mused, noticing the insecure look on her friend's face. 'Yaoyorozu. What's wrong? Are you nervous?' Shoto jolted Momo from her thoughts. 'No.'

It's okay. With our opponent, I don't blame you. Don't worry, I have a plan in mind for us.'

'Team Todoroki and Yaoyorozu, practical exam. Ready? Go!'

'Yaoyorozu, listen. I want you to keep making small objects. If you stop being able to, it means Mr Aizawa is close by. Our success depends on which one of us finds the other first. Once we spot him, I'll draw him to me. Then you can run to the escape gate and win this thing for us. Just stay close to me until then. Come on, hurry up and start making things.'

Momo hesitated. 'Sure... no problem.'

As they ran, Momo created a bunch of dolls. 'Those work okay, but what are they?' Shoto asked, looking back at the Ravenette. 'Oh, these things? They're just Russian nesting dolls.' 'Right. Let me know if you notice your quirk is acting strangely and all.' Shoto held up his right hand, swirling with frost as he ran off. 'What are you doing?' Y/N mumbled, staring as Momo stayed back, the insecurity on her face more pronounced, before she continued running, more dolls dropping out.

'I'd expect nothing less from you, Todoroki.' 'What do you mean?' 'You were able to come up with a plan to use against Mr Aizawa so quickly, you knew what was best as soon as we started.' 'This is nothing.'

Down in the monitory room, Y/N was sniggering. 'That's because he was taught by the best.' She pointed at herself proudly, trying to keep her mind off her sickening worries. 'Are you two dating?' Sero questioned, making Y/N blush. 'Um... I'm not sure if he'd want me to tell you.' She sighed, looking back at the screen. 'Okay then...' Sero trailed off, not convinced at all.

'No, you're wrong.' Momo stopped. 'As students who got into UA on recommendations, we started from the same place. But in terms of the practical skills a hero needs, I haven't really managed to do anything that stands out. During the cavalry battle, I just followed you and Y/N's orders. And then when it was my turn to fight, I failed before I could do anything.'

'Yaoyorozu, you're not making those dolls. He's coming!'

'I'm sorry!' Momo cried, both of them panicking as Aizawa swung down from a building. 'If you know that I'm here, then you should be acting. I would suggest you prioritise invasion.' Aizawa landed on the ground in front of a shocked Shoto. Y/N, meanwhile, facepalmed. 'During our trainings, I keep telling him to keep his guard up. He always does this.' She grumbled, clutching her fists.