Chapter 17

Warning: Some language again. Kept at a minimum.

The world seemed to shatter around Y/N. She let go of Shoto's hand, her own falling to her side. Her breathing sharpened and the birds seemed to stop chirping. Even the soft rustling of the breeze blowing on the trees stopped.  'I'm the result of what?' She breathed shakily, hurt and conflict clouding her delicate features.

'You were the result of a quirk marriage between Riku L/N and Yui Aikawa. Your water manipulation is from Riku, your charmspeak from Yui.' Endeavor repeated, expressionless. Y/N clenched her fist. 'A quirk marriage. I should have known you would pull a stunt like this, Papa.' Y/N spat the word like it was poison in her mouth.

'The night your mother died, I left her in the fire on orders from your dear father here.' Endeavor explained, eyes trained on Shoto. 'I see. Both of you were in on this then. Both of you are traitors. And here I was, thinking that my dear old father was a great one. A loving one, at that. I thought the death of mum was because of Endeavor alone. But how could I be so terribly wrong? My father is a murderer. He ordered his own wife dead without the slightest bit of hesitation. He's worse than the most evil of villains out there.' Y/N hissed, her head bowed. Her brunette locks fell over her shoulders and obscured the young girl from the world.

'One last thing. You are to marry Shoto Todoroki the moment you graduate from UA.'

'No.' Y/N jerked her head up sharply, glaring at the two men in front of her. 'I refuse to let you tell me what to do!' She screamed, finally reaching her breaking point. 'I refuse to take orders from you. Both of you. You will always be murderers in my eyes. The look in mum's eyes haunts me every night. Because of you, I haven't had a peaceful sleep since I was eight. It's been seven fucking years.'

'You have no choice, sweetie. Enji has promised me a large sum of money. We need it.' Riku tried pacifying his distraught daughter, but Y/N slapped his arm away. 'Don't. Touch. Me.' She growled. 'I am no daughter of yours. My father is a kind man, not a selfish, money-minded jerk.'

'You. Have. No. Choice.' Riku reinforced his words. 'Stop complaining.' He snapped. 'Both of you are underage, therefore under the care of your legal guardians, which would be me and Enji. Even if you leave the house, you will still be sent back to us if you are found. And we've arranged for the police to keep a lookout for the both of you at all times. You've nowhere to run, sweetie.'

Y/N said nothing. She raised her silver orbs and stared icily at the two men in front of her. If looks could kill, they'd be long dead.

'Good.' Riku smiled. 'You two will be married on the day you turn eighteen. We expect grandchildren by the time you reach age twenty-two. Preferably with both your quirks.'

'Daughter selling, money-minded, backstabbing, lying bastard.' Y/N snarled, directing most of her hurt, anger and confusion towards her father. 'Fine.' She spat. 'I'll do what your nasty ass wants. Now if you'll excuse me, I have the finals to compete in.' She spun on her heel and stormed off in a cloud of anger.

'You two utter, complete bastards. Especially you, Riku L/N. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Shame on both of you. You were so lucky to have such a beautiful, loving girl to call your daughter. But you just had to screw that up. Look at her, you probably just broke her beyond repair. She's never going to be the same again. I damn you both to hell.' Shoto scoffed and stomped off. But his heart stung slightly at the fact that Y/N had reacted so violently at the news of having to marry him.

He found the silver eyed girl in one corner of the stadium, wiping her nose and staring blankly at the people who were having fun participating in the recreational activities prepared for them. 'I can't even enjoy the sports festival now.' She sighed, tucking her head into her arms and closing her eyes. Her hair fell like a curtain around her face, blocking her face from view once again.

'Hey, Y/N...' Shoto settled himself next to Y/N, who didn't smile at him at all. Even her eyes had lost their trademark sparkle. She just stared emptily at the tiny figures moving around below her, eyes completely devoid of emotion as Shoto brushed the stray hair away. 'I'm sorry you had to see me throw a tantrum.' She muttered. 'It's fine. I do have a question though...' He trailed off.

'What is it?' Y/N asked in a rather snappy tone. Shoto, despite knowing that the anger wasn't aimed at him, hesitated slightly. 'Why did you seem so against the idea of getting married? Is it because you don't want to marry me?' Y/N laughed dryly. 'No. It's not the idea of marriage I'm against. It's the fact that my bastard of a father literally just decided my whole life for me. I wanna be a pro hero, Sho. But how can I be a pro hero when I'm stuck at home raising a bunch of babies? And I want to marry because of love. I don't like being told who to marry and when to marry. I like you, Sho, more than a friend, and I'd love the idea of marriage, but I don't want to marry you if it's for the sake of producing powerful children. My child could be quirkless for all I care.' She hissed, kicking at the seat in front of her.

'Forcing someone into marriage is one of the most degrading things you can do.  I'm disappointed in myself for agreeing to this quirk marriage.' Y/N murmured, leaning over and tucking a lock of Shoto's hair behind his ear. 'But you probably like someone else, don't you? You're practically a lady killer.'

'Actually, no. I... I like you too, Y/N.' He stated, blood rushing to his cheeks. 'We've known each other for about a month, and we're already spouting confessions in each other's faces. It's quite funny, to be honest, having our futures tangled into such a big, chaotic mess, and us still sitting here talking about our feelings.' Y/N smiled, though it never reached her eyes.

'Your smile is different.' Shoto noted, numbly holding Y/N's hand. 'How so?' She asked, eyebrows furrowed. 'It doesn't reach your eyes anymore. Your eyes are empty. Eyes are the window to the soul, Y/N. I know you're feeling empty inside. There's an empty void waiting to be filled. Let me be the one to fill that gap, please.'

Y/N's eyes fluttered shut, as though she was trying to shut herself away from the world. 'I'm hurt, Sho. I'm deeply hurt. Will you be the one to heal this wound?' She opened her eyes, revealing her silver eyes. But they weren't their usual shade of light grey. They looked much darker, like tarnished silverware. Shoto paused. 

'Yes. Yes, I will. I will be the one to restore the light in those eyes.'