Chapter 51

In a flash, a week had gone by and it was time for Class 1A of UA High to take their Provisional Hero License exams.

'Oh, man! I'm getting nervous...' Y/N mumbled as she shifted her bag strap. 'What if I don't pass?'

'L/N.' Aizawa's stern voice made the brunette screech comically. 'Don't say what if, say you will.' 'R... right.' She stuttered, blushing as she stepped out from behind Shoto. 'Anyway. If you guys can pass this Hero License exam, then you novice eggs will hatch into chicks. I expect your best.' 'All right!' Kaminari cheered. 'I can't wait to be a heroic chicken.' 'Let's call out the usual, you guys! On my mark, go Plus-'

'Ultra!' An unfamiliar voice interrupted them. 

'Hold up.' Y/N bounced up to the boy. 'Who are you? Is that... a Shiketsu High School cap?' 'You know it's pretty rude to barge into other people's conversations like that, Inasa.' One of the stranger's classmates reminded him. 'What? Pardon me!' The boisterous boy snapped his arms to his sides. 'I am very, extremely, sorry!' He yelled, bowing so low his knees buckled and his head made contact with the floor.

'Uh... who is this guy?' Kaminari blurted. 'I do not trust his enthusiasm.' 'Neither do I.' Y/N sweatdropped, cradling her costume case closer to her chest. 'Hey, look at their uniforms.' Jiro pointed out. 'They're from that famous school all the way across the other side of Japan.' Kirishima supplied.

'UA in the east, Shiketsu in the west.' Bakugo surveyed the neatly clothed students standing before them. 'Oh, my.' Y/N's eyes widened. 'Of all the hero courses in the whole of Japan, Shiketsu's elite stream actually rivals UA's. They must be extremely good, if not even better than us.' 'Shut up!' Bakugo yelled, launching himself at the starstruck girl. 'We're the best!'

'I wanted to say it just once, Plus Ultra.' The crazy, over-enthusiastic boy stood back up. 'You see, I really love UA High School! I am extremely honoured to compete against such incredible students! I'm so looking forward to it!'

'Inasa Yoarashi.' Aizawa deadpanned, making Y/N cock her head in curiosity. 'Do you know that psychotic guy, Mr Aizawa?' 'Indeed.' Aizawa nodded. 'He's strong. He's the same year as you all, and received the top scores for the students admitted through recommendations. But for some unknown reason, he turned down his acceptance to UA and went to Shiketsu.'

'Wait.' Izuku ogled after the departing boy. 'He's... our age?' He asked incredulously, glancing at Shoto who wore a cold, unfriendly expression on his face. 'I'm almost scared of him.' Y/N commented, twirling her way over to Shoto and Izuku and plopping an elbow on Izuku's head. 'I actually kind of regret not taking the recommendation exam now. Then I would've seen his quirk in action and perhaps had a chance in beating him.'

...

'Hold on.' Sero questioned when they caught sight of the strange boy again. 'He says he loves our school, but turned down his chance to attend is when he got his offer?' 'Yeah.' Mina agreed, shrugging. 'What a weirdo.' 'Maybe, but he's the real deal.' Aizawa interrupted, eyeballing his baffled students. 'Keep an eye on him.'

'Eraser?' A loud, feminine voice disrupted the group. 'I know that scowl anywhere. I saw you on TV and at the sports festival, but it's been a while since we were this close in person! Let's get married.' The sea green haired woman stated, making Y/N sweatdrop. 'What did she just say?'

'No.' Aizawa grumbled, and the woman burst into giggles. 'You're real funny, buddy.' 'That's usually impossible, Joke.' 

'Oh! That's Ms Joke, the smile hero! Her quirk is outburst. She forces people around her to laugh and that affects their ability to think and keeps them from being able to move! Her fighting moves are always full insanity!' 'Come on!' The cheery woman beseeched, grinning ear to ear. 'Imagine if I was your wife, you'd have a future full of constant laughter!'

'That sounds like an actual nightmare.' Aizawa sighed, slouching even further.

'It seems like you two are close.' Tsu observed, pressing a finger to her lip. 'Our agencies were near each other.' Ms Joke explained, her smile widening even further if possible. 'As young heroes striving to make a difference in the world, a mutual love bloomed-' She was cut off by Aizawa who snapped, 'No it didn't.'

'I did.' Ms Joke smiled confidently, placing her hands on her hips. 'You're my favourite person to tease, future husband!'

'So Joke.'  Aizawa began. 'If you're here, then that must mean-' 'That's right! Over here, everyone! This is UA!'

'Oh, wow!' A boy exclaimed. 'It really is Class A!' 'That's so amazing! I've seen them on TV before... and look! Y/N L/N!' 'Second years from Ketsubutsu Academy.' Ms Joke turned back to Aizawa and the UA students, a dopey, cheerful smile still plastered on her face. 'This is Class two. They're my students.' 

'Hey, I'm Shindo!' A raven haired boy grasped Y/N's hands, smiling at the shell shocked girl who tore her hands from his grip and backed into Shoto hesitantly. 'It seems UA has been through a lot this year, it must have been difficult for a pretty girl like you.' 'Uh, yeah... I guess.' Y/N inclined her head, furrowing her eyebrows at the boy.

'But even so, you're all aiming to become pro heroes despite those hardships!' He proceeded to clasp Kaminari's hands, leaving the poor blond flabbergasted. 'It's wonderful. Heart full of fortitude! I believe that's what every hero in the world needs to have!'

'And Bakugo! It must have been hard for you, with that whole kidnapping incident, wasn't it?'

'Huh?' Bakugo raised his eyes, scowling. 'You've been exceptionally strong-willed, don't you? Today I'm gonna do my best to learn from you. I really hope you don't mind.' 'Stop pretending.' Bakugo demanded, slapping the older boy's hand away. 'What you say doesn't match the look in your eyes.'

'Hey, man! Don't be so rude!' Kirishima butted in. 'Sorry, he's just like that.'

'It's fine.' The boy turned to Kirishima, but Y/N saw the gleam in his eyes. 'Bakugo's right.' She whispered to herself, wiping her hands on the corner of her skirt as though disgusted to have come into contact with him.

'Hey, Todoroki!' A voice rang out. 'Can I have your autograph? You were so cool at the sports festival.' A blonde jumped into Shoto's sight. 'Seriously?' The boy beside her muttered. 'Stop fangirling.' 'I'd be happy to find something for you!' Mineta cried, popping up immediately.

'Hey.' Aizawa suddenly called out, catching the attention of the UA students. 'Get your costumes and head to orientation, there's no time to waste.'

'Yes, sir!' Y/N replied, once again yanking her hands from the Shindo guy's clutch. 'Sorry, I have to go.' She grimaced, picking up her costume and running after her classmates. 'I really don't like him.' She sighed, glancing back at the boy whose eyes were trailing up and down her figure constantly.

'He's checking you out.' Shoto growled softly, making Y/N pull down her skirt in a flustered motion. 'I'm sorry!' Her eyes widened drastically as she desperately tried to use her obnoxiously short skirt to hide her thighs. 'Yeah, whatever. You probably like it anyway.' The boy grunted, very obviously jealous. He saw Y/N's expression fall, despite her hiding it as she mumbled another soft apology and hurried towards Jiro and Kaminari, small tears welling up in her eyes as she did so.

It was then Shoto knew he'd messed up.