Chapter 9

I tried a different writing style for this chapter to make it more emotional and raw but I'm not used to this type of writing style, so I apologise from the bottom of my heart if I screw this up and turn this from what was meant to be an intimate, tender and loving chapter into a super awkward and stupid one. I hope that you guys have been enjoying the story so far <3 

This is actually after the villain attack at USJ. Because of what they've gone through, Shoto and Y/N have grown rather close. This chapter is 1-2 days before Aizawa announced the sports festival.

Shoto's heart ached every time he watched Y/N interact with her friends effortlessly, despite having gone through physical and mental abuse, just like he had. While people would be surprised to learn that such a loving girl had such a traumatising past, they never, ever batted an eyelid when he had told them about his father's abusive nature. The boy never had any real friends growing up, Endeavor's abusive upbringing had taken its toll on him. He never expected anyone to display any affection or love to him. Shoto was just a broken fifteen year old in need of healing.

You're just another rich boy, spoilt to the end of no return.

You? An abusive father? I'm not surprised. You look like someone could beat the crap out of you and not get a response. Your father probably has to do that just to get a nod out of you.

Why are you so slow? How will you become the number one hero and beat All Might at this rate? Thirty more laps!

Whenever he trusted someone enough to open up to them, that person always left. He'd learnt over the years to just keep his mouth shut and not speak to anyone, developing his guarded and laid back attitude over the years. So when Y/N L/N stated that she'd wanted to help him get through whatever he was going through, he'd tensed up and the poor girl had never gotten her reply. Shoto just wasn't used to receiving concern. 

So when Y/N casually flopped her head into his lap one day as they sat under the old oak tree in the park near their school, he'd hesitated to ask. 'Y/N...' He had started, eyes filled with insecurity and fear. She  looked up at him with those gorgeous silver eyes of hers, her sweet voice chiming a melodic 'Yes?' As she'd reached up to poke his cheek. 'How could one be so badass and cute at the same time? Or go through such a traumatic ordeal and act so casually?' He wondered as he gazed down at the brunette girl who was studying her nails in the sunlight.

'Do you think I'm... cold?' He'd asked, a tear welling up in his eye, a rare sight from the so-called emotionless Shoto Todoroki. Y/N had frowned and sat up, taking both of his callused hands in her soft one. 'Who called you cold?' She'd whispered, gently, her right hand reaching up to brush the tear away. 'Everyone I've ever known. They say I have my father's eyes.' Shoto had breathed. The frown on Y/N's porcelain face deepened. 'You, Shoto Todoroki, are anything but cold. Close your eyes.' 

Shoto had done as she requested. 'Do you want to know what I see?' Then, without waiting for a reply, Y/N continued, 'I see a hardworking, brave and handsome boy. There's nothing wrong with him, only the fact that he had his childhood stripped away from him. But it's not his fault. He's headstrong and knows what he wants. He's perfect in every way possible. I wouldn't change a single thing about him.' Warm hands cupped his cheeks tenderly, fingers brushing under his closed eyes softly.

'Open your eyes.' Y/N had instructed in a tone so much like his mother's. He'd slowly opened his eyes, revealing his alluring heterochromatic orbs to the gaze of Y/N's sharp silver ones. 'Do you want to know what I see now?' Y/N stroked his cheek gently, treating him like a porcelain doll that could shatter at any moment, one that needed to be . 'What?' He had asked in a rather guarded tone, certain that she'd tell him what the others did. 

Your eyes are just like your father's, so cold and emotionless.

You really are Endeavor's son, huh? You look just like him, you certainly have that gleam of insatiable anger in your eyes.

Y/N only smiled sweetly, tucking a lock of his red hair behind his ear, exposing the beautiful blue eye that the soft hair hid. 'I see the same thing. There's nothing wrong with this boy in front of me, he's absolutely perfect. People think he's cold because they've never bothered to realise how precious he actually is. They've hurt him and then expect him to open up when he hides away.' Y/N paused. 'Shoto, I want you to know that it's not your fault. Your father saw the trees but missed the forest, you see. He only bothered about your exterior but in the process neglected your pain. That's not your fault, Shoto. You're more than enough. Anyone who ends up with you will be the luckiest in this world.' 

Shoto was reminded so much of his mother. Her kind, loving personality, her warm smile, the way her eyes held so much love. 'But my father is the reason you don't have a mother.' Shoto muttered, convinced that at this point, Y/N would just drop the act and push him away like others before her. He stared expectantly at the ash brown haired girl, thinking that she would turn away at any moment. The teenage girl smiled sadly, pulling him in for a warm hug. 

'Your father may be Endeavor, but I have no reason to blame you for your father's mistakes, have I?' She brushed away another small tear that had managed to escape from his eye as she pulled back. 'Don't cry, you've been so strong.' Y/N caressed her lips over Shoto's left eye, over his scar which she knew he was insecure about.

'We can't change who our parents are, but their mistakes and choices do not define us. It is our job to sculpt ourselves into who we'll be preserved as when we're gone. Don't think that you're capable of becoming anything like Endeavor, you're far from that. Besides, it's your fire, isn't it?' The girl reassured, a small, shaky sigh escaping her lips. Shoto couldn't blame her, clearly her mother was still a delicate subject.

He had mustered a weak smile- another rare occurrence for the youngest Todoroki heir. In the Todoroki household, his father Endeavor had hammered into his head that having feelings was a weakness, and that to be a great hero, he must never show his emotions. 'Thank you, Y/N.'

Y/N smoothed the stray hair from Shoto's face once more. 'I will protect you, Shoto Todoroki. I will stay by your side as long as the sun shines down on the both of us, for as long as the moon glows silver at night. As long as the stars twinkle in the sky. I will stay right beside you until the ocean stops beating and dries up. I promise you, I will love you and heal you as best as I can until the end of time.

'Are you really willing to stay with someone like me?' Shoto had questioned, apprehensive about Y/N's answer.

'Yes, Shoto Todoroki. The world could literally end right now and I'll hold your hand and we'll get through this together.' 

Sorry for the midnight update :p It's 1:41 am here in Singapore right now and I have no idea why I'm still awake.