Chapter 41

Izuku's partner is Bakugo in the 'revelry in the dark', as named by Tokoyami. And as I'm not sure of the placings of 1B, I'll randomly be pairing them up.

Once Y/N's contagious laughter settled down, Class 1A was finally able to continue their meal. 'I don't think I've heard you laugh before, Todoroki.' Sato commented, eyes wide. 'You're always so formal and reserved.' 'Oh, you are terribly mistaken.' Y/N chimed in, taking a drink out of her glass of water. 'He's a crackhead at home.'

Shoto glared at the brunette, who shrugged cheekily. 'And L/N, why are you always drinking plain water even if there are drinks available?' Sato turned to the girl curiously. 'It's my quirk.' She explained, circling her finger on the edge of the cup, producing sharp sounds. 'Because I control everything with water inside it, naturally water keeps me hydrated the longest. Anyway, I hope you guys have a nice night.' Y/N stood and bowed slightly. 'I'll be retiring now.' She waved, taking her leave.

...

'It's barely the third day and I'm already so tired!' Y/N sighed as she struggled slightly to maintain the watery geyser flowing from her hands and the platform the was standing on at the same time. 'Me too.' Ibara mumbled, hands clasped in front of her and eyes closed. A gust of heat suddenly blew over her. 'Whoa!' Y/N screamed, losing focus and thus, losing control over the molecules she was standing on. 'Ah!' She shrieked, toppling facefirst into the dirt.

'Shoto Todoroki...' The girl grunted as she climbed out of the long grass. 'I will kill you later.'

'Are you okay? What was that?' Ibara questioned, holding a palm out to help the girl up. 'Yeah...' Y/N groaned, accepting it. 'It was just my boyfriend's quirk.' 'Oh?' Ibara tilted her head. 'You mean that half cold half hot boy?' 'Yeah.' Y/N confirmed, stepping up onto a new platform. 'Let's continue.'

'Hey, Bakugo, do you need help?' Y/N flounced up to Bakugo, tucked snugly in one of Shoto's shirts. 'No, go away.' Bakugo grumbled, chopping up his carrots at an inhuman speed. 'Oh, well. Bye!' The girl left and joined Izuku. 'Hey. Did you see Kota?' 'That was what I was wondering too.' Izuku stuttered, shoving wood pieces into the fireplace. 'Anyway, Kota doesn't like heroes. Actually, he hates the whole idea of superhuman society, quirks and everything. I tried to talk to him, but I think I just made things worse.'

Y/N frowned. 'Because of his parents, right?'

Izuku jumped up. 'What? How do you know?' 'Well, Mandalay's cousins are the hero team Water Hose. So that must be his parents.' She shrugged, pulling at the hem of the shirt she was wearing. 'Poor thing. I wish I could get him to open up. I can relate in so many ways.' The girl sighed, staring at the orange clouds.

'What would you say to him, Todoroki?' 'It depends.' Shoto breathed out. 'Of course, sorry I asked.' Izuku stammered, continuing to shove wood pieces into the fireplace. 'To have a complete stranger try to change your mindset sounds like a pretty irritating conversation. What matters are actions. You have to show him what you're trying to prove, right? If you're going to rely on words alone, then they better be incredibly powerful. What you say doesn't matter as near as much as what you do.'

'You're right. I've been going about this the wrong way. How can I, a stranger, say anything to him?' Izuku smiled, satisfied with Shoto's answer. 'I don't know what your goal is when it comes to this child, but it sounds to me like you shouldn't be sticking your nose in a delicate situation. You tend to get to the heart of people's feelings. It can be annoying.' Shoto deadpanned, still carrying his pot of water. 'Right... sorry about that.'

'You can take Y/N as an example. Her words and those small, constant actions were what prompted me that day.' The heterochromatic boy shifted his gaze onto his girlfriend, whose face held a bright smile like usual. 'She's always supported me since day one. Her little gestures proved that I could trust her. That's why I opened up to her first. Think about it, Midoriya. Sometimes the smallest actions matter the most.'