Chapter 42

I'm fond of the Toya Todoroki as Dabi theory, so in this story, I'll be using it.

Also I know Dabi means cremation in Japanese, but I thought it'd be cute if he picked it as his alias because it was a nickname from his youngest brother.

'I don't need any of your protection, damn it!'

'Let's go.' 'Just make sure you keep up.' Shoto deadpanned, earning an all too familiar 'don't tell me what to do!' from the blond. 'Is that Ochaco and Tsu up front?' Y/N mumbled, arm laid in her lap. 'Uraraka!' Shoji yelled. 'Quickly, guys! Help her!' Tsuyu called, hanging on a tree. The blonde girl Ochaco was tackling ran away. 'There's too many people here now and I don't feel like being killed tonight. Toodles.' The cat eyed girl was about to disappear into the woods, but then her eyes landed on Izuku.

'Hey, eyes to yourself, missy. Stop checking out my friend's future husband.' Y/N snapped her fingers. The girl, coming to her senses, ran away. 'Stop her!' Ochaco cried, about to run after her, but Tsuyu stopped the auburn haired girl. 'It's too dangerous! We have no idea what kind of quirk she has.'

'Who was that girl just now?' Shoto questioned, running up to the two girls. 'One of the villains. She was crazy.' 'Uraraka, you're hurt!' Izuku exclaimed worriedly. 'It's not bad. I can still walk okay. You and Y/N are the ones who look terrible.' 'We can't stand here and talk. Let's move. I have no idea how long Y/N's stab wound is going to stay uninfected. We need to get it cleaned.'

'I'm just glad you didn't get injured too bad. Now come on! Join our group. We're protecting Kacchan and making our way back to camp. We could use your help.' 'Hm... you're protecting Bakugo? If that's the case, shouldn't he be standing here with you guys?' Tsuyu questioned. 'Huh? What are you talking about?' Izuku smiled stupidly. 'He's right behind u-' They turned to see no trace of Katsuki Bakugo at all.

'Nice trick, eh? I took the lad you're talking about with magic.' 

The group swivelled to see a guy standing on the biggest branch of a tree. 'A talent like his would be squandered if he's cast as a hero.' The mysterious guy tossed a small blue bead in his palm, presenting it to the UA students. 'We'll provide him with a grander stage where he can truly shine.'

'Give him back!' Izuku hissed, narrowing his eyes.

'Give him back? What an odd thing to say. Bakugo doesn't belong to anyone. He's his own person, don't be so arrogant.' 'We'll stop you!' 'Right now.' Shoto sent a wave of ice at the villain, but he jumped out of the way just in time. 'Why the aggression? We only wish to show him that there are more options besides the fanatical world of heroism he's drowning in. It's important to choose a path that aligns with your core values, after all.'

'It's not just Bakugo. Tokoyami's gone!' Shoji suddenly exclaimed.

'If you're monologuing because you think you've beaten us, you're mistaken.' 'A bad habit of mine. I once was an entertainer, you know. Taking Tokoyami was a bit of improv on my part.' The villain revealed another bead in his palm.

Shoto's arms suddenly felt strangely light. 'Y/N.' He gasped, glancing around for the girl. 'Where's Y/N?' 

'Ah. Y/N L/N, the girl who tied with you at the sports festival. She was a target of ours as well, but I see how easily she gets injured now. Maybe if you're lucky, we'll spare a piece of that weak brat for you wannabe heroes to bury. However, that depends on whether we're feeling generous.' The villain proclaimed, rolling the third bead between his fingers.

'You bastard! You can't take them!'

'How dare you. My girlfriend, of all people.' Shoto grumbled, launching one of the largest attacks the group had ever seen. 'Apologies, but sleight of hand to the escape handle is my speciality, not combat. I'm not foolish enough to fight hero candidates from UA. Vanguard Action Squad have acquired our targets. Our little show has officially come to a close. Meet me at the retreating point in the next five minutes for the final battle.'

'They're going to take them.' Shoto breathed. 'Our friends. And... my girlfriend.'

'They can't!' Izuku cried, staring at the retreating figure of the villain. 'You're right. We'll stop them.' Shoto yelled, fueled by anger and hatred for the villain who had just kidnapped the girl he adored so much, the very same one who had been there for him since the first day.

'Damn it, this guy's quick!'

'If only Iida was here!' Ochaco cried, panting slightly. 'Come on!' Shoto urged, pressing forward.

He had to get Y/N back, no matter the consequences.

'We can't give up, not now. We have to get our friends back!' 'It's of no use.' Shoji wheezed. 'He's getting farther ahead with every passing second.' 'Uraraka.' Izuku commanded. 'You have to make us float. And then Asui, you launch us as far as you can with your tongue. Shoji, use your quirk to hold me and Todoroki and to change our trajectory through the air. Measure the distance with your eyes, Uraraka. And then when the timing looks right, release us.'

'Midoriya, you stay here. With that much pain-'

'Trust me, I don't feel any pain right now. I can do this, hurry!' Izuku declared, expression fierce and determined. 

'Wait, Deku, here!' Ochaco tore her blouse in half, using the shredded material to create a makeshift bandage for his broken arms. 'Okay, here goes. Make sure you've got a good grip on them!' Tsuyu reminded as she launched the trio into the air.

The boys soared into the air like a human bullet, heading straight for the villain. They landed on the villain, toppling him to the floor in front of three others. 'Hey, hey! What's this? Oh, wait. I know these kids. Who are they?' One of the villains questioned in confusion.

'Give Kacchan, Tokoyami and Y/N back!'

'Get out of the way, Compress.' A strangely familiar voice penetrated Shoto's eardrums. It was as though he knew that voice, but it was so different at the same time. So... foreign. Resonant and deep like Natsuo's, calming like Fuyumi's. A burst of bluebell flames erupted, startling him out of his thoughts. Though he managed to dodge the attack, another villain came from above him.

'That beat-up little boy and you. You're on Shigaraki's kill list.' The black and white figure launched himself at Shoto, who sent wave after wave of ice at him. 'Too easy!' The villain cackled, dodging every one of them. Frustrated, Shoto grumbled, 'What the hell is with this guy?'

'Ugh, I can't believe you ruined my exit!' The villain that Izuku, Shoji and Shoto had hitched a ride on complained, rubbing his arm as he returned to his allies. 'You have Bakugo?' The villain that Shoto found familiar, asked, spreading his arms. 'Of course. I also managed to get Tokoyami and that weak brat L/N.' The guy who was apparently called Compress according to his accomplices, answered, reaching a hand into his trench coat pocket.

'Eh?'

'Midoriya, Todoroki, we're done here. He gave away his best trick. I'm not sure what your quirk is,' Shoji stated, glaring at the villains. 'But it had to do with those little marbles, right? The ones you'd stashed in your pocket.' Shoji held up the three beads that the villain had been toying with. 'So I'm guessing that these are Tokoyami, Bakugo and L/N.'

'Ahaha, well count me impressed. Just as I'd expect from someone with so many arms. How splendid!'

'Nice job, Shoji!' Shoto increased the size of his ice wall hastily before running after his peers. 'A Nomu!' Izuku suddenly gasped. 'Quick, this way!' The dual haired boy took the lead, but they were soon stopped by a warp gate. 'Not this guy. He was at the USJ.' Shoto realised, skidding to a halt. 'The warp villain!' Izuku's eyes widened drastically.

'It's been five minutes since the signal. Let's go, Dabi.'

Dabi. The nickname that Shoto had given his eldest brother, Toya Todoroki, on the rare occasions he was allowed to interact with them. But it couldn't be...

Could it?