Chapter 19

'Enough standing around! Let us welcome the next contestants!' Y/N watched nervously from waiting room number one. 'He's got skills, and tape from his elbow! From the Hero Course, it's Hanta Sero! Versus, a competition who's way too strong for his own good. He got into the Hero Course based on official recommendations! Its... Shoto Todoroki!'

'Y/N... I'll win for you. And only using mum's quirk so that I can rub it in that bastard's face.' Shoto murmured, glaring at Sero who was stretching his neck and arms while muttering inaudible words.

'Begin!'

Tape shot out from Sero's elbows, wrapping tightly around Shoto's waist area and thighs, successfully capturing his legs and arms. He yanked the tape to the side, dragging Shoto along. 'Element of surprise, but too bad, at that speed he's gonna lose.' Y/N murmured, eyes glued onto the screen. 'Apologies.' Shoto snapped, stamping onto the floor with his right foot. The floor froze at an alarming rate, shaking the whole building. Within seconds, a gigantic ice wall had formed, with Sero trapped inside.

Shoto broke free of the weakened tape easily. 'D... don't you think you went a little overboard?' Sero stuttered. 'Tell the truth, Sero. Can you move at all?' Y/N laughed slightly at the sight of Midnight, with her right side frozen and shivering, her voice monotonous.

'I obviously cannot. But it is freezing!' Sero whimpered, stuck in the huge wave of ice. 'Sero has been immobilised! Todoroki advances to the second round!' The audience was in complete shock. All of them were either gaping at the dual haired boy who had caused the ice in such a short matter of time, or the ice that had covered more than half the stadium.

'Sorry, it was a bit much.' Shoto walked forward, pressing his left hand onto Sero's chest. 'I was angry is all.' He stated, beginning to melt the wave of ice himself.

But Y/N couldn't help but notice the sad look on her friend, or rather, fiance's face. 'I'll check on him later,' She thought. 'It's my fight now.'

...

'Even the most beautiful of flowers have thorns. It's the assassin from Class 1B, Ibara Shiozaki from the Hero Course!' Versus, the reigning queen of UA High, Y/N L/N of Class 1A!' Y/N took a deep breath, taking her place in the ring.

'I expect to see a super flashy match this ti-' Present Mic was interrupted from his enthusiastic yelling by Ibara. 'Excuse me. Please pardon the interruption. I'm not sure why you called me an assassin. I've come to the tournament in search of victory, not to take my opponent's life! That wouldn't be in line with the values of a hero at all, sir.'

'Right, I'm sorry!' Present Mic jumped back, apologising, making Y/N stare at him, unimpressed. 'Gentlemen, I didn't enter YA for wicked or selfish reasons, but to deliver salvation to others. It is my humble quest to spread true good around this world.' Ibara explained, clutching her hands together in front of her chest.

'Uh... I said I was sorry! That was my bad, okay?' Present Mic stumbled over his words.

The greenette smiled gently. 'I thank you for your kind understanding.' She replied, bowing. Meanwhile, Y/N had taken this time to analyse her opponent. 'Her quirk is likely plant-based. I'll have to be careful as to not expose any water. She seems like a formidable opponent.'

'And, begin!'

Ibara turned around, the vines on her head detaching and growing at an abnormal rate. By the time Y/N reacted, she was already lifted off the ground by a bundle of vines. 'Damn it!' She cursed, thrashing around in the cocoon. 'L/N is-' Midnight began, but Y/N yelled at her. 'Stop! I can get out of this.' She hissed, grabbing a bundle of vines from inside the cocoon and pulling sharply. The vines broke, leaving a hole for Y/N. Before the vines could grow back, the brunette girl stuck her hand through, successfully freeing her arm. And that was all she needed.

Y/N made a fist like motion, as though she was squeezing an orange clean of its juice.

'What's happening?' The crowd began gasping. 'Look at the vines. Do they seem a little off colour as compared to just now?' 'You're right!'

Slowly but surely, the vines dried from their succulent, lush green into a brittle, dead brown colour. Y/N tore through the now shrivelled cocoon, dropping to the floor in a readying stance. 'How? What? L/N manages to escape!' Y/N rolled her eyes at Present Mic's ignorance. 'Since I'm able to control the amount of moisture in things, it's only fair that I know how to take it all out.' Ibara tried attacking again, but her opponent was ready this time. Veering to the left, Y/N dodged and charged straight at the girl, tackling her to the ground. They skidded across the cement floor but Y/N didn't manage to get Ibara out of bounds. They reached the corner.

Ibara closed her eyes, more vines detaching from her head. 'Not again.' Y/N growled, clenching her fist so fast the vines turned into dust. 'I've got no choice,' Y/N realised, summoning a wave of salt water. 'But land plants don't grow as well when watered with salt water.' She grinned, thrusting her hand, and the wave crashed onto the floor, the sheer force of it sending Y/N and Ibara flying.

As Y/N flew into the air, she created a small platform that she landed safely on. Ibara used her vines to steady her fall, but the winner was already decided. 'Shiozaki is out of bounds! L/N advances on to the next round!'

Y/N smiled sincerely, hopping down from the platform just as it vapourised. 'Are you okay?' She asked, holding a hand out to Ibara. 'I hope I didn't go too far with my attacks...' She muttered, rubbing the back of her head awkwardly. 'I'm fine, thank you for your kind concern. You did great! I've learnt plenty from this match.' Ibara replied, accepting Y/N's hand and getting onto her feet. 'Thank you, you did very well too. Your first attack certainly caught me off guard.' Y/N laughed, pulling Ibara in for a hug. 'I look forward to seeing you more around the school.' She grinned.

'And me, you.' Ibara clasped her hands in front of her and bowed deeply before turning and leaving. 'After a seemingly heartwarming moment with her opponent, Shiozaki walks off! What a spectacular way to make friends, ladies!' Y/N allowed a small smile to creep onto her face as she gazed up at the cheering crowd, before disappearing from the audience's line of sight.

...

'Y/N! You did amazing!' Momo and Jiro cheered as soon as their brunette friend sat down in between them. 'Wise choices, L/N. You clearly thought that through.' Iida interrupted, waving a hand in Y/N's face. 'Thank you, Iida. Did you guys happen to see Sho? I have a few things to discuss with him.'

'He's there.' Momo pointed to a secluded corner where the boy sat, staring blankly at the arena below. Y/N squinted her eyes in concern, getting up, much to her friends' disappointment and made her way over to Shoto. 'What's wrong, Sho?' Y/N asked gently, taking a seat beside the dual haired boy. He sighed, staring at his left palm in confusion and disgust.

'You're still in conflict as of whether you should use your fire, aren't you?' Y/N whispered, making him tear his gaze away from his hand. 'But I swore to myself that I wouldn't-'

'That's where you're wrong, Shoto.' Y/N interrupted, her hands folded in her lap as she stared ahead at her father's figure standing out in the crowd. 'I've been thinking. I'm not happy with my water manipulation at all. But I can't get far without using it.' 

'What's your point?' Shoto furrowed his eyebrows, staring at his friend- technically fiancee's twitching hands. 'I'm saying that you can't make it far in this cruel world depending on only half your power, Sho. It's your power, isn't it? Those flames are yours, no one else's. You may have gotten them from him, but it's your quirk, is it not?'

'I know you hate Endeavor, and that you want nothing to do with him. The same applies to my father. But I've made his quirk mine. I think... I think you should do the same.' She whispered, biting down on her bottom lip, avoiding eye contact with Shoto.

'You're right.' He muttered, a small flame dancing across his palm for a millisecond before dying out. 'But I'll have to think about it.' 

Resting his head on Y/N's shoulder, he said, 'But for now I think we should focus on the tournament. Congratulations on your victory, by the way.' Y/N looped an arm around him and pulled him closer, his warmth reassuring her. ' Yes, we should. And thank you.'

We're two shining beacons, helping each other through the dark because we can't see our own light.