Chapter 43

It's officially been one month since 'Peppermint' was first published! I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for supporting this story through your votes, views and your witty comments. It all means the world to me. This is the first book I've ever published that has gained views so quickly, so I'm extremely thankful to all you lovely readers for helping me unlock this achievement. Thank you!

'Hold on. We're not leaving without those kids.'

'Don't worry. They were so proud of themselves for rummaging through my pockets, so I thought I'd let them gloat. But allow me to explain a basic tenant of magic. If I'm flaunting something shiny, it's because there's something else I don't want you to see.' The villain removed his mask and stuck out his tongue, revealing the three glistening orbs that laid on it.

'He's got them!' Izuku and Shoji gasped at the same time.

The villain snapped his fingers, and chunks of ice appeared. 'Is that my ice?' Shoto blurted incredulously. 'That's right.' The villain narrowed his eyes. 'During the ice attack, I prepared dummies and slipped them into my right pocket.'

'Damn it! His quirk allows him to compress and hold things!' Izuku realised, charging, with his two peers by his side.

'A little bit of misdirection.' The villain spread his arms, slowly disappearing into the warp gate. 'Forgive me, I do so adore a twist ending.' 'You can't do this!' Izuku yelled, trying to reach the gate before his enemy disappeared into it. 'One last bow, and then the curtains fa-' 

He was cut off by a blue laser beam that hit his face, shattering the mask he wore. He coughed, the three beads falling out of his mouth. Shoto and Shoji both lunged for the blue orbs.  Shoji caught two of them, but just as Shoto was about to grab the one in front of him, someone beat him to it. 'Well, isn't that a tragedy? Poor little Shoto Todoroki.' Dabi smirked, holding the bead in his hand.

'Confirm it. Release them now.'

The villain in the yellow trench coat snapped his fingers. The small spheres in Shoji's hand suddenly exploded, revealing a very shocked Tokoyami and a conscious but frail Y/N, who was collapsed on the floor, hands pressed to her gut and face screwed up in pain.

'Checkmate.' Dabi smirked, fist on Katsuki Bakugo's neck.

'Kacchan! No!' Izuku tried desperately to get to Bakugo before the villains disappeared into the warp gate completely, but it was too late. Bakugo was gone. 'Kacchan!' Izuku face-planted onto the ground. 'No!' The boy's anguished cry rang through the eerily silent forest. 'He's gone.' Y/N stuttered, eyelashes fluttering. 'We failed.' The girl mumbled, a tear leaking out from her eye as her broken frame snuggled into Shoto.

'Y/N, are you okay?' Shoto questioned, lifting her up. 'Come on, we have to get her back to camp.' He instructed, standing.

...

'Hey.' Shoto greeted, sliding open the door of his girlfriend's hospital ward. The girl, who was staring out at the windows, turned around at the sound of his voice. A smile spread onto her face. 'Hey! Good news, Recovery Girl just healed the wound, and since I'm not showing any symptoms of infection, they're going to discharge me today!' Y/N beamed, flopping down onto the hospital bed and pulling up her shirt, showing Shoto the healed wound. 'It'll scar, but I guess it's a whole lot better than dying.'

'That's great.' Shoto grinned, lifting the girl into the air, making the brunette squeak in surprise. 'H... hey! Put me down!' 'Nope.' Shoto replied cheekily, popping the 'p' before dipping Y/N down and kissing her.

'I see you two are having fun.' An amused voice behind them rang out.

Mina, Kaminari and most of the class stood at the doorway, smirking suggestively at the couple. 'It's not what it looks like!' Y/N stuttered, pushing Shoto away. 'Oh, honey,' Mina grinned, pointing a finger at the girl. 'It's exactly what it looks like.'