Chapter 24

'Eh? What's this? Why is she crying?' Present Mic asked in confusion. 'Oh, for god's sake, Mic. You're even slower than a snail. But for the sake of L/N's privacy, I won't say anything. Midnight, get the three of them to recovery girl. The rest of the matches are cancelled.'

'Come now, Y/N. He'll be fine.' Midnight spoke, pulling Y/N to her feet. 'We will conduct the prize ceremony after all three of them are back in tiptop shape.' She turned back as she helped the brunette stumble to Recovery Girl's temporary office. 'She's emotionally traumatised.' Recovery Girl tutted as Midnight helped Y/N sit on the bed. 'Take a nap, dear. Your prize will still be waiting for you.' 

'I don't want a prize. I want him to be fine.' Y/N hollered, straining to get off the bed.

'Let go of me!' Y/N screamed, thrashing around as Midnight struggled to force her back onto the bed. 'Let me go!' 'You leave me with no choice, Y/N dear.' Midnight sighed, ripping her sleeve again and producing the sleep inducing aroma once more. 'I'm not sleeping!' Y/N shrieked, covering her nose with her sleeve.

'Y/N!' Riku ran in, once again a panting mess. 'I don't want to see you either!' Y/N whipped around, launching a power-packed sphere of water at her father. 'Leave me alone, all of you!' She cried, still flailing around in Midnight's arms. 'Go aw-' Her eyes rolled upwards, and she slumped onto Midnight, snoring lightly.

'She's exhausted herself mentally. She's been beating herself up trying to figure out her emotions. Someone hurt her emotionally.' Recovery Girl sighed, ambling away to inspect Shoto and Bakugo. 'The boys will be fine. Apart from a few minor abrasions they're physically unharmed, so they'll be up and moving in about half an hour max.' 'Y/N's definitely something. But do you think they'll want her as a sidekick after she literally burst into tears in front of everyone?' Midnight pondered, staring at the exhausted girl.

'She's powerful. They'll want her. She has drive.' Recovery Girl commented as she checked Shoto's heartbeat with her stethoscope.

...

'The first year students have completed all of the events for the UA sports festival! Now it's time to relax and enjoy the award ceremony.' Midnight called out, pointing to the huge plasma screen which had the words 'Award Ceremony' printed on it.

Three puffs of smoke spiralled into the air as four silhouettes rose up. Bakugo, Shoto, Y/N and Tokoyami. Y/N, who still had inconspicuous dark circles and an extremely messy braid, was yawning and slouching just ever so slightly, her posture tired, though relaxed. She stood next to Shoto, who had his hands in his pockets like usual, staring into space.

'What's up with Bakugo?' The crowd gasped, staring at the dirty blond straining against multiple restraints. From handcuffs to chains, the boy was tied down with a variety of constraints. 'Give it a break, will you?' Y/N muttered, glaring at him. 'Gosh.'

'He's acting like a feral animal.' Tokoyami remarked, making Y/N laugh a little.  'Tenya Iida actually shares the third place award with Tokoyami. But unfortunately, he had to leave for family reasons.' Midnight explained, a hand on her hip as she looked at the paparazzi. 'You gotta love those little family bonds.' She struck a pose, scaring Tokoyami half to death.

'Now, let's bring out the hardware! Of course, there's only one person worthy of distributing the awards.'

'Ahahaha! I am here!' All Might yelled, taking a leap and landing heroically in front of the winners, kicking up a cloud of dust. 'Our hero!' Midnight cried. When the crowd didn't respond, she clasped her hands in front of her, an apologetic expression on her face. 'I ruined that, didn't I?' She asked, smiling sheepishly.

'Ahem. So now that you're here, All Might, why don't we start the presentation?' Midnight held out a tray of medals, trying to save herself from her embarrassment. 'Ahaha. Young Tokoyami. Congratulations. You showed great strength out there.' All Might announced to the crowd as Tokoyami replied, 'Your words humble me, sir.'

However, you have more training to do if you're going to be able to fight against different villains. You're not gonna be able to rely on quirk in every battle you face.' All Might explained as he pulled Tokoyami in for a quick hug and moved on to Shoto and Y/N. 'Young Todoroki, congratulations. I'm assuming there's a reason you didn't use your left side, which cost you the final.' 

'Midoriya opened my eyes during that match, but then I started to doubt myself. I think I'm starting to understand a little about why you're so interested in him. I want to be kind of hero you are, but my path... isn't as clear as I thought it was. I have a lot to think about, and I still need to settle things with someone. Very soon.'

'Hm.' All Might nodded slightly. 'I've never seen this sort of look of your face before. I won't ask for details,' He continued, hugging Shoto and patting him on the back, 'But trust yourself. I'm sure you'll work things out.'

'And of course, young Y/N. You're talent-'

Y/N held a hand up. 'I don't deserve it.' She replied shortly, shocking the whole audience. The brunette gazed around the stadium, at everyone, everything. 'My match with Iida.' She elaborated in a softer tone. 'I'd told my father beforehand that I would get glory with both halves of my quirk, but I relied on my charmspeak during that match just so I could spite him. My judgement was clouded by anger. I didn't deserve that win.'

The teenage girl stared at the medal in her palm, before taking it off. She looked up at All Might, then at the crowd.

Y/N hesitated for a moment, before turning to Shoto and placing the intricate silver medal over the other one and smiling. 'Charmspeak is extremely dangerous. I shouldn't have risked such a reckless move. The second place belongs to Shoto and Shoto alone. I withdraw.'

'But-' Shoto tried protesting, trying to take it off.

Y/N caught his hand and held onto it. 'I've been thinking ever since I woke up. I realised, that everything in life happens for a reason. And life throws us obstacles to help us grow stronger, both mentally and physically, not to hold grudges. I realise how childish I was.  So, I forgive my father. After all, he was the one who raised me for fifteen years. I forgive Endeavor. Whatever happened in that fire that day, I don't know. And I probably never will. But the only person I have yet to do the same is myself. Maybe it's too soon to forgive. Maybe it's not, I don't know. But I know that it's the right thing to do.'

'Ah... well. Good luck, young Y/N. Remember the people who will always support you.' All Might grinned, bringing Y/N in for a hug. When he let go, Y/N nodded solemnly and faced the front once more, again getting lost in thoughts.

Have I actually done the right thing? Should I have forgiven him that fast?

'And now, young Bakugo!' All Might declared, but then he stared at Bakugo's restraints in confusion. 'Hm. This is a little bit much.' He said as he removed the contraption that was keeping Bakugo silent. 'Well, you did what you said you'd do in the pledge. You're true to your word!'

'All Might...' Bakugo growled in a feral manner, straining against the chains again. 'Winning first place this way doesn't prove that I'm the best one here!' He yelled, severely ticked off. 'Even if the world considers me a winner, I refuse to accept it like that!'

All Might cleared his throat rather awkwardly. 'In a world where we're constantly being compared to one another, there are very few who can keep their eyes on the top spot. You're one of them.' He affirmed, trying to pacify the angry blond pomeranian. 

'Please accept this medal, even if you have to think of it as a scar. Something you'll never forget.' All Might raised the medal, the shiny gold colour glistening in the sunlight. 'I don't want that piece of garbage!' Bakugo screeched as All Might attempted to place it around his neck, but Bakugo raised his head at the last second, and it caught on his nose. 'Get that trash off me, you idiot!'

But All Might managed to get him to clench it between his teeth. 'Here we are, the winners of the sports festival! But listen closely. Any of the first years could have ended up standing on these podiums. Think about what you've done today. You've challenged each other, learnt, climbed even closer to your goals of being pros. I think that the next generation of heroes is proving to be the most promising one yet! So I have one more thing to say, and I want to hear everyone yelling with me. The phrase, teamwork!' (Or something similar. I couldn't hear it clearly.) However, the audience had a different idea and instead yelled 'Plus Ultra!' before breaking into boos.

'That was the perfect time to say 'Plus Ultra', All Might!'