Chapter 61

^ Todo looks so baby in this UwU

'So, what do you think about my quirk?' Mirio asked, earning heap after heap of protests and complaints from the bruised, beaten up 1A students. 'It's too strong!' Sero objected, soon joined by Hagakure. 'Mine is nothing in comparison!' The invisible girl yelled, waving her arms about. 'How can you slip through things and warp?' Mina questioned incredulously. 'Do you have two powers like Todoroki and Y/N do?'

'Nope.' Mirio answered, still smiling. 'Just the one.' 'Just one?' Izuku mumbled. 'I know!' Nejire appeared in front of the younger boy. 'I'll tell you what it is!' She excitedly turned to her peer. 'Hey, hey, can I say it? Permeation!' She cried, looking thoroughly excited. 'Cool, right?' 'Hado... Let Mirio explain his own power.' Tamaki muttered.

'Yep.' Mirio confirmed, pointing his thumb at himself. 'I have a sweet quirk called permeation. What you guys thought was a warp is simply, you guessed it, an alternate application of that power!' He explained, then looking down to Nejire who was tugging on his PE shirt indignantly. 'Oh, sorry Hado.'

'Wait, so how exactly do you warp, huh?' Izuku quizzed, confused. 'I activate my quirk in my whole body. Then, I can pass through anything I want, no sweat. Everything!' Mirio elucidated, tapping the floor with his foot. 'That includes solid ground.'

'So... that was you falling through the floor of the gym?' Ochaco cried. 'Yep.' Mirio nodded. 'I went deep underground. 'And whenever I release my quirk while I'm falling, something super strange happens! Apparently things with mass can't overlap, that's called physics. So I get repelled upward! Think of it this way- the ground spits me out, and I fly up into the air. That's how my warp works! By adjusting my direction of the position I'm holding, I can change the angle I come out at, I can aim at different spots!'

'That sounds like a bucky video game.' Mina commented, earning a laugh from her senior. 'That's pretty funny!'

'You're able to avoid any attacks, and you can go anywhere you want in an instant.' Tsu noted, blinking. 'Oh, you were born with a really strong quirk!' 'Not true.' Mirio stated. 'My power's only strong because I made it that way. While my quirk is activated, my lungs can't take in oxygen. Even if I breathe in, the air will just pass through. In the same way, my eardrums don't work, and light can't go through my retinas.'

'That's pretty crappy.' Y/N commented, then let out a groan.

Mirio chuckled, then continued with his explanation. 'I can pass through everything, but that means I can't feel anything when I'm in that state. Even though I have a body, I can't stop falling. I could probably keep going down forever. Does that make sense? That's why if I want to go through something, say, a wall, I have to concentrate really hard. I'll activate everything except one leg, then I release the other leg and land on it, and the first leg is the last one to go through. Even for a simple action like that, a lot of little actions are involved.'

'Oh man, if I were in a hurry, I'd mess that up every time!' Kaminari complained, turning to Mineta, who replied with his own question. 'Seriously, if you can't feel anything, how are you supposed to move?'

'Growing up, I was always behind like you'd expect.' Mirio then launched into another lengthy explanation. 'In no time, I dropped to dead last. I dropped my pants a lot, too. In order to get to the top with this quirk, I couldn't just hope that things would get better. I had to think!' He exclaimed, prodding repeatedly at his own forehead. 'I learnt to make combat decisions and picked up a few new tricks. But above all, I learnt how to predict what would happen next. And what made these predictions possible was experience. I based my predictions on what I'd learnt. This was kind of a roundabout way to get the point across, but that's why I wanted to fight. To show you through experience rather than experience. In our work studies, we're not treated as guests like our internships. We're regarded as one of their sidekicks. Or even pros! That can be super scary. Pros can get hurt. Sometimes, they end up watching people die, but every scary and painful thing you go through is an important experience that you can't get inside a classroom, even at UA. I transformed the experience I got from my work study into power. That's how I got to the top spot. And, why I think they're worth it, get it, first years?'

A round of applause echoed through the TDL.

'Psst.' Y/N nudged Shoto in the ribs. 'What are you thinking? You've got your thinking face on.' 'I do not.' Shoto replied, baffled. 'Yes, you do.' Y/N snickered, then flinched afterwards. 'Your lips press together and you lower your head, and then you-' The brunette was interrupted by the dual haired boy who hissed for her to shut up. 'I was just thinking about how I needed to get my provisional license soon, or I'd get left behind.'

'I'm sure you'll get it soon.' The silver eyed girl smiled, patting Shoto's shoulder gently.

'Let's start heading back to class.' Aizawa commanded. 'Say thank you.' 'Thank you very much!' The first year class chimed, then followed their grouchy homeroom teacher back to their classroom.

...

'Heey!' A violent shout punctured the air. 'If you've got trash, bring it here right now!'

'Hey, Bakugo! Thanks!' Kirishima jogged toward his friend, a bag of waste in his hands, earning a loud 'sure!' in return. 'I have some as well.' Tokoyami strode toward the ash blond, who yelled, 'Hand it over!' 'Mine too!' 'And mine!' Kaminari and Sero came out of their dorms, each with a small bag of garbage, but then everyone's jaw dropped when Mineta came out with a humongous bag stuffed to the brim. 'This is heavy.' He grinned, oblivious to Bakugo's anger.

'You bastards look like you've been holding this for weeks!'

'Togata's story from how he went from last place to the top was so killer, wasn't it?' Mina cheered, sitting next to a just as enthusiastic Hagakure, and an unbothered Y/N who was holding a piece of ice over her poor, bruised stomach. 'I'm really looking forward to getting into a work study now.' Tsu admitted, glancing around.

'I really hope we get to go on one.' Ochaco sighed. 'I think the teachers are still trying to figure out what to do with us first years.' 'I suppose there's nothing we can do until Mr Aizawa tells us more.' Momo remarked, brushing her loose raven hair.

'Ah, well, I'm looking forward to it.' Y/N shrugged, adjusting the ice pack that laid on her stomach. 'Hopefully, someone even wants me. Just looking at this nasty ass bruise tells you how weak I am.' 'That's not true!' Momo leaned forward, placing a gentle hand on the brunette's knee. 'You got hit twice, once from the front and once from the back!'