Chapter 2

'Alright, time to give you your results. I've ranked you all from best to worst. You should probably have a good idea of your standing already. I'll just pull up the whole list, it's not worth going over each individual score.' Aizawa announced once Class 1A had completed their quirk proficiency assessment test, clicking the button on his device and pulling up a hologram of the rankings. 'Third?' Y/N groaned. 'I might have beaten Shoto if I didn't get that darned nosebleed!' 

'But you got third, that's not bad! I'm Ochaco Uraraka, by the way.' An auburn haired girl who was standing next to Y/N chimed in, a cheerful, somewhat dopey grin plastered on her face. 'Y/N L/N.' Y/N took the girl's hand, shaking it lightly and giving her a small smile. 'Oi, you! L/N! How did you manage to beat me? You must have cheated, didn't you?' Bakugo screeched as she stomped up to the brunette, palms crackling with mini-explosions in an attempt to threaten her. 'I didn't.' The girl deadpanned as she turned her nose toward the sky as she flounced off. 'And do me a favour, will you?' She called out as she left. 'Don't be such an ass.'

'So, Ochaco, what's your quirk?' Y/N asked casually as the two girls walked back to class after changing back into their uniforms. 'It's zero gravity. You remember that I got infinity for the softball throw, right? I can make things float when I touch them.' Ochaco explained, her eyes shining excitedly. 'What's your quirk?'

'Well, you see, I can charmspeak. I don't really like using that part of my quirk for personal reasons, and I can also control most liquids, as long as a portion of it is made up of water. I can convert the molecular structure of water in the air into energy, which I can keep for myself or transfer it into small objects. I can also find out the location of something, through liquids that are present. For example, if you're standing on the fifth floor in a ten storey building fitted with pipes, I will be able to know that by touching the pipes.' Y/N babbled, her arms flying around as she gestured wildly.

'Wow, Y/N, you seem very powerful! I'm so envious of you and your powers!' Ochaco exclaimed in admiration, which caused a blush to coat her new friend's cheeks. 'You don't seem too bad yourself.' The taller girl complimented, face flushing up even more. 'Really? Thank you!' The girl flung her arms around Y/N. Smiling, Y/N patted the petite girl on the head. 'Let's go back to class before we're late.'

...

'Class, which one of these sentences contain no subject?' Present Mic asked, more like bellowed at the class, who stared back at him with blank, bored faces. Y/N yawned, feeling her eyelids droop as they got heavier and heavier as she struggled to keep them open during Present Mic's incredibly boring English lecture.

'The sentence structure of option C is wrong because it does not contain a subject. In this case...' Momo Yaoyorozu's voice faded into silence as then brunette slumped onto the table, her eyes closing involuntarily despite the girl's every effort to keep them open.

'Endeavor! Please don't use your quirk here! We're surrounded by explosives!' A woman in her early thirties with hair a pretty shade of ash pleaded with the famed pro hero, known for his fire and 'explosive' personality. 'Oh, dear Yui, what do you know? How else are we going to stop the villain?' The tall man scoffed, lighting a ball of flame in his palm and throwing it at the villain that both of them were chasing after.

The villain dodged at the last second and the fireball flew past him, hitting a can of petrol instead. With a deafening blast, the thin aluminium covering exploded, leaking the flammable liquid everywhere. The fire spread at an alarming rate, soon turning into a raging inferno. Y/N, in her semi-conscious state, could hear the agonising cries of both her mother and the villain. 'Endeavor! Help me, please!' 

A silhouette slipped out of the flames unscathed, turquoise eyes hard, cold and unforgiving. 'Sorry, Yui. Only the fittest and the strongest survive in this world. Maybe one day you'll learn that.' Endeavor walked off, leaving the woman's faint figure in the flames, her cries getting weaker and softer. Soon, her body stilled, crumbling into ash slowly.

A hand shook Y/N gently. Gasping, she shot up, hitting someone on the nose. The person grunted, rubbing his nose gingerly. The brunette rubbed her eyes tiredly, noticing Shoto. 'Sorry...' She mumbled as she let out a soft yawn. 'The class went down for lunch. You looked disturbed in your sleep so I thought I'd wake you up.' Shoto stated simply. 'Oh... Thanks.' Y/N replied, popping her back as she stretched. The heterochromatic boy nodded slightly, and turned to leave the classroom. 'Wait!' The girl yelled after him, making him turn towards her expectantly. 'I uh... have no idea where the cafeteria is. Is it okay if I walk with you?' She asked sheepishly, scratching the back of her neck.

'Hurry up then. We don't have all day.' Shoto leaned against the door frame as Y/N scrambled out of her seat frantically. 'Let's go, I'm starving!' She yelped, bolting out of the classroom with the boy following behind her casually. 'You're going in the wrong direction.' 

'Oh... right.' Y/N blushed, turning and trotting behind Shoto. 'So... what were you dreaming about?' The heterochromatic boy quizzed, unable to help his gnawing curiosity. The silver eyed girl seemed so carefree and happy, what could possibly make her so uneasy?

Y/N came to an abrupt halt, her sneakers screeching sharply against the tiled floor. 'I... uh... it's a recurring dream. My mother was a sidekick of Endeavor's.' She explained, pulling at the hem of her skirt. 'They were chasing after a wanted villain once and Endeavor stupidly used his fire in an alley full of explosives. Being fireproof, he escaped safely, with no problem at all.' The girl hissed, rubbing at her eye furiously. 'And he left my mother to die in that inferno. I was eight.' 

'Oh... sorry I asked.' Shoto replied, mind drifting off. 'Does she know she's talking to Endeavor's son?' He wondered silently.

Y/N sighed. 'Just make sure you don't reveal this to anyone. No one knows this secret. I'm surprised I let you know, especially since we just met. But I have a feeling I can trust you, Peppermint. You better not screw this up. I don't give a lot of chances.' She brushed past Shoto and strode into the cafeteria, leaving the boy in a state of slight confusion.