I've Been Here Before (Middle Earth/Rivendell)

You felt cold.

The orange glow of the sun painted the trees and the houses in the valley in a lovely shade of red and orange and gold. It was a sight to behold, a sight that never ceased to amaze you.

But right now, as you look around, you did not feel happy.

Reluctantly, you walked up the stairs, your footsteps echoing throughout the house. The wind blew and leaves that have fallen moved and danced across the floor.

You heard in the distance the waterfalls that were present in the valley, as well as the river. But in other parts of the house and the grounds, everything was silent—the fountains no longer held water. They were dry and filled with dead leaves.

The halls were still filled with artifacts and paintings were still up on the walls. But they looked dull as dust sat upon them. You held out your hand and ran your fingers across the walls as you walked.

You reached a familiar painting—one where you saw a familiar ring sitting on the finger of the enemy that threatened the lives of Men. Across it was the statue that once held the broken shards of Narsil.

You stood in front of it, staring at the statue with distant eyes. Then you turned and continued to walk around, until you reached the eastern side of the house where a porch was. That was where you remembered the Council was held.

With a sigh, you looked out into the valley but the beautiful scenery could not take away the emptiness in your heart.

In your sorrow, you took a deep breath and closed your eyes.

Footsteps grew louder as they walked closer to you.

The distant chatter of elves walking around the grounds filled the air.

The fountains were filled with water and the trickle of water calmed you.

Then there was silence.

"Elladan, have you seen Elrohir? It is time for supper."

"Arwen, are you really my sister? I am Elrohir, not Elladan!"

"Do not even try to trick me. I know which of you is Elrohir and which is Elladan. Living with you for centuries enabled me to distinguish who is who."

"Alright, don't scold my twin, Arwen. Elrohir is here. Anyway, Ada is looking for us. I assume he has been looking for us for quite some time now."

"Indeed I have. Poor Lindir had searched everywhere for you."

"It is nothing, Lord Elrond. Also, I have been informed that the food is ready."

"Splendid. Shall we, Lady (Y/N)?"

You opened your eyes.

You were alone.

Everything felt cold.

It felt empty.

A sob threatened to escape your lips but you pursed your lips and blinked rapidly. You turned and hurried towards the stairs, away from the halls that was once filled with those you loved and cherished.

Before you left the valley, you looked back at the house and you felt your heart break a little.

There was no reason to come back.

"Before, in these halls I never stood alone,

I look at your faces and I am home,

Once, I thought we'd be together forevermore,

When I was here, with you, before.

But now you've gone and I am alone,

This place is cold, this is no longer home,

Your memories I bring forevermore,

As I stand here, without you, where I've been before."

(I write this with the thought of how everything and everyone we knew had all gone, had all passed. What if we were immortal? Or what if we were elves who decided to stay behind, and our friends have already passed or sailed? What if we, readers, have been transported to their world but all those we knew have gone? It is your decision how you will imagine this scenario came to be but one thing is certain—they are now only a distant memory. They are friends we will never see again.)