The Lady and The King pt. 2 -Elrond, Platonic!Thranduil

(Warnings: angst, loss, but happy ending

Pairings: Elrond X Reader; Platonic!Thranduil X Reader )

You sat by your desk, face buried in your hands. The words written in ink didn't make sense to you anymore and you felt so tired. But you willed yourself to continue, to become busy. You kept on telling everyone that grieving would only cause trouble to your people. But there was another reason and this reason was something you tried to deny.

Working and making yourself busy distracted yourself from the loss you attained.

It was better to stress about something other than lay down on your bed and embracing the emptiness in your heart.

A few days ago, you had sat down with your sons, the other guards that went to Mirkwood, and with King Thranduil and Legolas. There they filled you in with what happened and what went wrong. Apparently they had not seen that the orcs were planning to go in the opposite direction, the north, and they had set most of the guards in the direction, the south, where they thought the orcs would arrive. Elladan and Elrohir were ordered by Elrond to guard the northern parts and it was clear Elrond wanted to keep his sons away from most of the battle. But he also knew that something was not right and he sent the twins to be there so that if anything happens, at least there were skilled warriors to help.

But when they received news that the orcs have outnumbered the twins and the others with them, Elrond made his way to his sons on his own. Outnumbered, he ordered the twins to go and seek more help. The twins were reluctant to go, but their father made them swear that they would get out of there alive and unscathed.

Thranduil and his forces arrived just in time to see Elrond fall onto his knees with multiple arrows on his body.

Their story made you tremble and filled you with anger and anguish. Those in the room who saw your seething eyes felt shivers run down their spine. And they were more terrified when your expression was mirrored by your sons, Legolas, and Thranduil. But you all remained calm and tried not to talk through gritted teeth. Talks of strengthening your alliance continued and ended well. And even though Legolas and Thranduil felt guilty and blamed themselves for your husband's death, you promised to still help them in times of need.

The meetings had been productive, albeit fast paced, and they ended in two days after the burial. But Thranduil lingered longer while Legolas went ahead back to Mirkwood in his father's stead. You did not know why he stayed but you were grateful since he helped in any way he can. You knew how Elrond worked and he taught you how to lead too, but you were still quite nervous and uncertain of your capabilities. Thranduil helped you build that confidence and helped give you a little push whenever you needed it.

But you knew Thranduil tarried to make sure you were alright.

And that was proven when you heard a knock on your door that evening.

"Come in," you said, massaging your temple while you wrote down more words and signed more papers.

The door opened and in came Thranduil wearing more comfortable tunics and pants. On his shoulders were his dark red robe and on his forehead was his silver circlet. You smiled and bowed your head in greeting and he did the same.

"What brings you here?" you asked, putting down your quill. "You should be resting. Are you not to depart early in the morning?"

"I could not sleep. And when I saw the light coming from your study, it became my objective to at least try and convince you to go to bed." Thranduil poured himself a glass of wine that was sitting on one of your tables and sat on the chair opposite yours. "You need to rest."