The Little Moments That Bring Us Joy -Aragorn

(Author's Notes: let us assume that Arwen isn't the love of Aragorn's life here okay? In this one-shot, it's you. Yiiiieeeeee 😂💕 also check out my Tumblr: CeineLee. I post these oneshots there first!

I thought it would be nice to incorporate some of the little things I find joy in. Sometimes we get so overwhelmed by the bad stuff that's happening in the world, we forget to appreciate the little moments that make us smile. I hope this reminds you of them.)

"What makes you happy?"

"When you enter a bookstore or a library and it is filled with old books. You walk between shelves filled with books with yellowing pages and worn-out covers. And when you reach to open one of them, the smell of old books hit you and for some reason offers you comfort."

Aragorn walks around the castle, greeting people as he went. Occasionally he would stop and ask someone something, and most of the time he would end up disappointed by their answers. Aragorn had been asking around if they have seen the Queen. The last time he saw her was when they ate lunch and talked about visiting the Shire in the future.

Out of ideas of where to look, Aragorn decided to visit the library to find some papers. One of his advisers told him that the past trades and connections they had were all written down in detail and kept in the library. So with haste, and with a bit of disappointment that he had lost time to spend with his wife, he walked to the library.

Aragorn was then greeted by the librarian Darnell. Darnell smiled and bowed when the King entered and Aragorn returned the gesture with a smile of his own.

"Lord Cuthbert told me that records of our past trade and relations are kept here," Aragorn said. "May I see where they are?"

"Of course, my lord," Darnell said. "They are at the far end." She then points to the left of the room and Aragorn nods in thanks before going to where he was directed.

He walked further into the library, admiring the extensive collection of books. Of course this was nowhere near Elrond's library but even so, Aragorn thought of how much time was spent on every book to be filled with words that would eventually form sentences that will form a story.

It didn't take him long to reach the bookshelves where the records were kept. Most of them were labeled with the dates and who they made trades with so it was easier for Aragorn to find what he specifically needed. Some of his advisers told him that they could do all the work that needs to be done, but Aragorn wanted to be involved and wanted to be informed. He believed to be a leader is to know how to be a follower as well. To be a leader is to know how to work as well.

When he found the book he needed, he began walking back to where Darnell was to inform her of the book he took. But on his way back, he noticed someone standing somewhere in between the rows of bookshelves.

Now he knew where his Queen went.

There you were, in your emerald green dress, looking at the book in your hands. There was a small smile on your lips as your eyes skimmed over the words written on the pages long ago.

Oh how you loved books! The words take you to far away places. The textures of the hardbound covers and the fragile paper to you was as exquisite as the softest blanket. The sound of you turning the page is music to your ears. And the smell of books, whether they are new or old—if you could have someone make a perfume out of it, you would.

Thinking that no one was around to see you, you lifted the book up, the upper edge of the book touching the bridge of your nose. Aragorn did not miss the movement of your shoulders as you took a deep breath. And he did not miss how your cheeks lifted, telling him that the corner of your lips have curved upwards.

He could no longer contain his amused smile.

As if you sensed someone was looking at you, you looked at the corner of your eyes and saw your husband standing there, regarding you with raised eyebrows and a teasing smile.

You blushed but did not hide this fact as you lowered the book to show your face. With a slight pout, you lifted a finger and placed it on your lips.

"Not a word," you whispered.

Aragorn laughed and stretched an arm out as you walked towards him. When you were near, his arm settled on your waist, drawing you close to his side.

This little moment happened often but it did not make you less happy. In fact they make you happier. Whenever you had the time you surrounded yourself with more books and even took the time to write your own stories. Even though Aragorn still laughed at the memory of you discreetly sniffing a book, he had to admit that even he found its scent very comforting. The two of you would then often stay in the library on days that you are free from your responsibilities. Now that the world was more at peace, you had more time to look forward to making more good memories.

It made you look forward to the tomorrows that will come.

It made life wearing a crown worth living.