White Clover: The End -Thranduil

(Author's Notes: We have reached the end, my lovely readers. Thank you so much to those who supported this since I first started the series and to those who will read this in the future. I know the story must have been confusing, and yes I am confused as well. I originally planned for part 8 to have reader and Thranduil stay angry at each other you know but I thought that you guys deserve more happy moments. And I know some people will come after me if I just end the whole thing without any fluff soooo XD I hope you like it!

Warnings: angst

Listen to this while reading: "Lifetime" by Ben&Ben. Also the story about how they came up with the song is just T_T I suggest you guys listen to it and search for the meaning of the lyrics. Their songs are amazing and loved by a lot of Filipinos.)

"Here are the keys. If there's any problem, don't hesitate to tell me."

"Thank you so much."

The moment you opened the door, nostalgia hit you.

You had moved out of this house with your family a few years ago. Since then so much has changed. But you missed the house that contained most of your childhood memories. So you worked hard and waited to be able to buy the house back. And after ten years, ten long years since you left, you now have the key and the house was under your name.

The house was empty and dusty because it had been quite some time since someone lived in it. But that could be fixed easily—you'd start cleaning today and you'd start bringing in some of the things you had brought with you from your previous home.

You walked around the house, smiling at the memories you'd made with your family. As you walked up the stairs, you ran your hand over the dusty banister. When you saw the familiar door at the far end of the corridor, you remembered the 20 years you spent in there, dreaming about the future.

The room was still the same, minus the furniture and the walls (the previous owner must have painted them). But what captured your interest was the window that looked out into the backyard. There you saw, standing as beautiful as ever, your favorite tree.

A few moments later you found yourself in the backyard. The tree was no longer bearing the autumn colors as it did the last time you saw it. It kept up with the seasons now, shedding leaves in winter and growing new green ones in spring.

Looking up at the tree, you were reminded of the night before you had to move out of the house.

You found yourself sitting by the back door, feeling a bit queasy. Of course you remembered what happened but it felt unreal. And that feeling became stronger when you saw that there was no longer a tattoo on your arm and the box was no longer with you. The hole that you had made while digging by the tree's roots was covered up as if you never touched it.

But the moment your eyes landed on the white clovers growing near where you sat, you began to cry.

You spoke none of it to anyone and opted to keep the memories to yourself. In a way, you didn't want anyone taking away the magic you had felt by saying that you had only been dreaming or imagining things. You were afraid if someone said anything, you'd forget him.

It still brought you sadness and a lot of regret whenever you thought of those days.

What if you and Thranduil had been more truthful to each other about your feelings and confessed earlier on? What if you didn't waste time avoiding each other because of the petty arguments you both started? Could you have more time in each other's arms? Could you have found a way to stay?