Acorn -Platonic!Thorin X Bilbo

(Request from Tumblr: Hi! I found your blog recently and I love your stories! Specially LOTR and The Hobbit ones, can I ask you for one? thorin x bilbo using this song as inspiration "Happiest Year - Jaymes Young" thanks!!!

Author's Notes: Hi! Thank you so much I'm really glad you like my works T_T I did look at the lyrics of Happiest Year and I drew some inspiration for this. Sorry this took a while too. But I also had to watch some parts of the movies so I could write this and boiii it broke my heart. Like I nearly cried and my sister was just laughing at me because I was like ready to cry when I heard the Concerning Hobbits playing in the background and then the feels came when I watched Thorin and Bilbo's friendship CAN YOU HEAR MY HEART BREAKING???? SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE ME TO NEW ZEALAND I WANNA GO TO HOBBITON

Warnings: the feels bruh, the feels, is this angst i dunno)

There came a time when the Hobbits of the Shire questioned Bilbo's love for the oak tree in the middle of a field near Bag End. Frodo noticed that his Uncle would have this distant look in his eyes whenever Bilbo's gaze fell upon it. Bilbo would also be spotted sitting under it with his pipe, wasting away the afternoon. There the once respectable Hobbit would write on his journal or read one of his many books.

But there is a certain time of the year when Bilbo would go to the tree before sunrise and leave before the sunrise of the following day. It was the time where Frodo worried for his Uncle the most, and Frodo tried to keep him company. He brought food and even brought his own book to read, just so Bilbo won't feel too lonely.

Bilbo of course appreciated this gesture, but he will not deny the relief he felt whenever Frodo would go back home to sleep for the night.

It was the time where he could be alone with his thoughts once more, without being interrupted by anyone.

There he would sit and there he would sigh countless of times. If anyone was actually wake at this time and if anyone could see in the dark, they'd think Bilbo had gone mad for he would laugh and smile to himself.

He was reminiscing the adventure he had decades ago.

There was no regret in his heart that he joined their quest. Yes, he was reluctant and yes, he did yearn for the Shire in the midst of the journey. But if there was someone who would offer him to go back in time and change his decisions, Bilbo would refuse. He would still run out of his front door and go on that adventure.

Bilbo carried the memories of that journey in his heart and he cherished them very much. And he actually wanted to go on more adventures, see the world, meet new people! But he knew that nothing can beat the Quest of Erebor.

Of course the journey wasn't all fun and games. Even his companions were doubtful that he would make it, that he would be of use.

Bilbo smiled as he remembered the words of Thorin Oakenshield.

And he smiled even more when he remembered the embrace he received from the King Under the Mountain when he saved Thorin from the orcs. It was a hug that made Bilbo feel accepted, made him feel part of a family. Thorin's embrace was firm and warm and Bilbo actually yearned to embrace his friend more after the journey.

But the smile disappeared and they were replaced by Bilbo pursing his lips, trying to fight back the tears.

It has already been sixty years but he never failed to shed tears for the friends he had lost.

The adventure felt like forever, but looking back Bilbo thought the time he spent with them was too short. Too short to exchange stories, too short to show sincere gratitude, too short to make promises that they will indeed meet again in the future.

Too short to realize that the first time he received a hug from Thorin Oakenshield was the last one he'll ever have.

Bilbo remembered seeing Thorin stand and then fall. He remembered running up to the dwarf, pleading for him to keep on living. The battle has ended, the dragon is gone, their home has been reclaimed! So why must Thorin die without even having the chance to let that reality sink in?

He begged and cried, remembering Thorin's last words, desperately wishing that they had not parted like that.

Bilbo wished he had lived, along with Kili and Fili. He wished he could have gone home knowing everyone he had met and had been with in the journey was alive and happy and back in their home. He wished he could have sent letters to Thorin, told him how the acorn grew, how he wanted to visit Erebor again. He wished he could have visited and Thorin could have visited the Shire and they could have sat and drank and ate to their heart's content.

There was sadness that he will forever carry with him, wishing that Thorin and Kili and Fili had not died, but Bilbo would not trade the memories for anything in the world.

There were regrets, like what if he had been there earlier to warn all of them and possibly protect all of them, but Bilbo would not ask to forget everything.

Those months he spent on the road with the Company were the happiest months of his life.

With one last look up at the tree, Bilbo heaved himself up and began walking back to his house. But before he opened the door and got inside, he looked back and recalled the words he told Thorin about the acorn he picked up in Beorn's graden.

"One day it will grow, and one day I'll look back and remember. Remember everything that happened, the good the bad, and how lucky I am that I made it home."