The Little Moments That Bring Us Joy -Fili

(In this oneshot, Fili is alive after the Battle of the Five Armies. You both live in Erebor.I thought it would be nice to incorporate some of the little things I find joy in. Sometimes we get so overwhelmed by the bad stuff that's happening in the world, we forget to appreciate the little moments that make us smile. I hope this reminds you of them.)

"What makes you happy? "

"Being the only ones up while everyone is asleep. In the middle of the night, we talk in hushed voices and laugh silently. What I love the most is when our conversations turn into talks about our hopes and dreams for the future."

"Hey, move over."

"Why? Just walk to the other side of the bed."

"No, I'm already on this side. I don't want to waste energy."

"Says the one who was walking around the halls."

"Says the one who was sneaking into the kitchens to grab a snack."

"I was hungry, alright?"

You snorted and pushed him over to the other side of the bed. When he groaned and rolled over, you dumped your fluffy pillow and lied down beside him. Fili rolled his eyes at how you flopped yourself with a grunt. After a little while, the both of you lay down on your backs and looked up at the ceiling, talking about memories you had when you were children. The conversation then moved on to the quest Fili had been on to reclaim Erebor and you listened with wonder in your eyes. Fili found it amusing that you never got tired of hearing their accounts but you pouted and said that their journey was no easy feat and that you wished you had been there with them.

Fili turned to his side, facing you, and his face was serious. "I would not like that one bit," he said, placing his folded arm under his head. "I am glad that you did not go with us."

You mimicked his actions and asked, "Why? Am I not worthy enough? You know I am skilled in fighting, as skilled as the others. If this is about keeping us dwarf-women safe and protected then you know how I feel about that."

With a shake of his head, Fili closed his eyes. You waited for him to respond, and after a few minutes, he answered. "I know you are good in handling a battle axe. I know you are skilled and if ever put in a dangerous situation, I know you could find a way out," Fili whispered. "But even my uncle, known for his fighting skills, danced close to death. And I don't want you to die, (Y/N). Not because we have to keep dwarf-women safe but because you are too young to die. I know there are still a lot of things you want to do in life."

Fili opened his eyes and saw you with a frown. Seeing you like that made him attempt to change the subject.

"(Y/N), what are your dreams in life?" he asked.

You looked up at him, although a pout still lingered on your features, and said, "My dream is to go on an adventure. I want to see the world. I want to see more of what's out there and not just live my whole life inside the mountains. Your stories of the places you've been to are different from the safe places we have stayed at while we were in exile. I wish to see this Shire that you speak of, and Mirkwood, and even Rivendell!"

While talking, your eyes had grown wider and your voice was filled with excitement and wonder. But Fili watched you deflate after your speech, and instantly he reached his free hand to hold yours.

"I don't want to live in a cage, Fili. I don't want to be limited and told who I can and cannot be, what I can and cannot do. I don't want to be stuck in a box my whole life," you said truthfully.

"You won't be."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I will help you achieve that dream," he said and there was no hint of doubt or hesitation in his voice. "We will visit the Shire, visit Bilbo, and on our way there we may be able to pass Mirkwood or just have a peek in there. We will travel the lands between here and the Shire. We will see hills and mountains and forests and rivers."

"But why would you help me, Fili?" you said. "You told me earlier that you were glad I did not come with you. Why help me now?"

Fili's grip on your hand tightened and you felt the bed shift as he leaned closer to you. Blood rushed to your cheeks and you hoped Fili would not notice it in the dim light.

"Ask me what my dreams are, (Y/N), he whispered, "and I will tell you why."

You gulped. "What are your dreams, Fili?"

"I have also dreamt of adventures in foreign lands. I have dreamt of helping in reclaiming our lost homeland. Along the way, as I ventured off to fulfil these dreams, I then dreamt most of fighting off the evil and seeing a day where we force the darkness to go back into the shadows and do us no more harm." Fili paused. You felt his hand lift your chin up and he pressed his forehead against yours. "All these I have dreamt and all these have been fulfilled. And now that I have achieved these, I can now help you with yours."

"Why? How?"

"All these I have dreamt for myself and for our people, but when I met you, these dreams became not only for them, but most especially for you. I know of your dreams, and to be able to walk freely in the lands of Middle-Earth, I wanted to make sure it was safe for you to venture upon. Now that it is safe for the time-being, we can now fulfil yours. But, I hope that after we make your dreams come true, you can help me with a new one."

You held your breath. "What would this new dream of yours be?"

He exhaled. "To have the honor of calling you mine."

This little moment did not happen often but whenever it did, it made you happy and it made you look forward for the next ones. Late night conversations seldom happened because of the duties Fili had to do as the next in line to the throne. But whenever you did have the opportunity to sit down and talk, the words exchanged in hushed voices were ones you held dear to your heart. Through this you were able to know each other more. The adventures did not happen as soon as you had planned but these little moments kept you going and kept you dreaming. It made the days bearable.

It made you look forward to something.

It made life worth living.