Redolence -Thranduil

(Author's Notes: anon from Tumblr sent an ask, "What do you think Thranduil smells like?" something like that. And it wasn't a request but I was inspired and thought it would be wonderful if I wrote something short for it.

I had to go out and get a leaf from a tree and sniff my pencil because of this XD

Anyway I hope you like this. I'm taking my time on working on other requests since I think I overworked myself and kind of lost the joy in writing things because I am happy and excited. I think the number of likes and feedback got to me and so I had to step back to focus on my mental well-being as well as physical since I've been sleep-deprived due to the pressure of having to write and post everyday. I think I was scared that if I slowed down I would lose readers on Tumblr and I compared myself to other writers.

I hope you understand but I will definitely be writing in my spare time and will post when I can. I'm also thinking of how the fanfic will go and will probably write it when I'm not busy with other projects and stuff. Love you guys! <3)

You stepped into the woods. You had long since abandoned any attempts to lift your skirt up so that the hems wouldn't touch the ground. Following the path, you delved deeper into the forest in search of your husband that has long since left the safety of the caves.

The forest seemed to sigh in joy. It had just rained and water was of uttermost importance for life and growth. You couldn't hear but you could feel it—it was as if you drank a glass of cold, refreshing water after spending an entire day under the sun.

Stopping in your tracks, you took a moment to look up at the canopy. There was light filtering in through the leaves but it wasn't blinding. You assumed the sun was hiding behind the dark clouds that have yet to be blown away and taken to another place. Momentarily forgetting your mission to find your husband, you closed your eyes and took a deep breath.

Petrichor—the smell of earth after the rain. The smell of wood and leaves. And the coolness of the air—not like the cold winter air that hurts your nose or the stuffy, warm air in summer. A hint of sweetness from the flowers and berries.

Some people find these odd or undesirable but you love them and everytime the air is redolent of them, you are reminded of someone and of the memories you spent with him.

As you stood there, surrounded by serenity, you heard the faint rustling of leaves and soft footsteps against moss, rock, and dirt. A smile made its way to your lips and you turned to face the newcomer, the one you had been looking for.

He returned the smile, his damp platinum blond hair and brown tunic and pants smeared with dirt and riddled with leaves, thorns, and needles. But even though he didn't look like someone who wore a crown and sat on a throne, he still looked beautiful and still gave off the impression of someone with authority by how he held himself. With grace he made his way to you and gathered you in his arms.

You took another deep breath and the fragrance was stronger, not only because he had been roaming in the woods but because he was already part of it. Even when he stayed inside the caves he brought this scent wherever he went. Melting in his arms, you sighed in bliss and leaned your head against his chest.

Your husband also breathed in and you felt his chest vibrate with laughter as he removed a leaf from your hair.

"I see you have found my secret on how I acquire this fragrance that you have always told me of," Thranduil teased. "You smell divine, my love."