The Little Moments That Bring Us Joy -Legolas #2

(Author's Note: this happy thought was given by a dear friend of mine on Tumblr. I relate to this so much, because I never felt comfortable sleeping in other people's homes except on occasions where I have my own bed. I think this strayed a little from the happy thought that was given but I wanted to write how I thought it would be when Legolas came home to Mirkwood after the war and everything. Also I wanted Legolas and Thranduil's relationship to be more carefree and caring.

I thought it would be nice to incorporate some of the little things I find joy in. Sometimes we get so overwhelmed by the bad stuff that's happening in the world, we forget to appreciate the little moments that make us smile. I hope this reminds you of them.

"What makes you happy?"

"That feeling when you're almost home. When after a long time of traveling you start to recognise the trees and the turns in the road. When nostalgia slowly starts to take over your soul, when you know that soon you'll be sleeping in your own bed again and when you know that you'll see your loved ones again. You're not quite there yet, but you're almost home, and you start to speed up."

"We part ways here, my friend," Gimli said. He and Legolas shared a nod. "I will see you soon, that I am sure of. We still have a lot to see in this world."

"Aye, that is true," Legolas answered. "But for now let us go back to our kin and celebrate this victory."

And so they parted ways—Gimli headed for Erebor and Legolas for Mirkwood.

It wasn't long before Legolas could see in the distance the forest he had loved. The trees grew bigger as he drew closer. It was as if the trees were calling out to him, welcoming his return. He has been gone for nearly a year and so much has happened. Legolas knew that his father and his people also suffered greatly for they also had their own battles to face. But he could not help but let out a smile at the sight of the path.

He got down from his horse and opted to walk, for he wished to see the forest clearly. When he passed by the statue placed at the entrance, Legolas' smile grew sad. He caressed its cheek before whispering, "I hope you are proud of me, Nana."

As Legolas continued on foot, he noticed the subtle changes of the forest. He knew there might still be orcs and spiders lurking, but the atmosphere was certainly lighter. To his keen eyes, the leaves are greener and all living things began to thrive. The waters he passed were no longer enchanted and the forest itself wasn't trying to get him lost (but even if they did, he would still be able to find his way). In fact, it was as if they were guiding him back to the caves.

So many memories were formed in this forest and he recalled them as he passed the places where they took place. There was the tree he used to sit on whenever he was one of those assigned to guard the borders. And there was when they used to gather around a fire and sing merrily. That spot over there was his usual target whenever it got boring while he was on duty.

He knew the path and the stones that marked it. Legolas knew where to turn and even if he were blindfolded he would wager he could still find the caves.

Legolas also decided to take a detour and pass by a certain place where he knew his father and mother loved to take refuge in. It was a peaceful place where only he and his parents knew. It served as a place where they could forget that they wore crowns on their heads. He smiled at the memory of him and Thranduil exchanging stories while they munched on some berries. Legolas was also very fond of the rose bush that managed to grow there because it was the rose bush his mother really loved and that he and his father continued to love when she passed away.