Somniloquy -Lindir

(Requested by anon on Tumblr: Aloe Can I maybe request a "Sleeptalking" one shot with Lindir? Love Anon

Author's Notes: I was reminded of the times my sister would sleep talk while I was the only one awake and I would just jump because it's been too quite and suddenly someone started talking wjdkwjdwi anyway this is what I came up for your request!

In my head Lindir and Glorfindel are friends but more like "I'm annoyed at him and he is the bane of my existence but I also respect and like him". It's kinda like how family is too, you joke around and stuff. Just a heads up, in case you think I made Lindir hate Glorfindel

Warnings: none)

"I'll be there in a minute."

"You have been giving me that same answer for the past hour!"

You snickered, never looking up from your work. The quill in your hand continued to move and ink danced on the paper. Your lamp flickered as a breeze came in, telling you that the door to your study had been opened. Footsteps hurried towards you—they were quite loud for an elf. But you couldn't blame him for not caring how loud he was. He was annoyed and he had come to show it.

"(Y/N)."

Sighing, you sat up straight and looked at your husband with tired eyes. He had one of his arms folded against his chest with his other hand pinching the bridge of his nose. When you met his gaze, he pursed his lips and tilted his head towards the direction of your shared bedroom with a glare.

"I want to finish this tonight, Lindir," you answered. "I only have a few pages left."

"You can do that tomorrow early in the morning." Lindir was about to snap when he saw you suppress a yawn. His anger melted away. You wanted to go to bed too for you'd been working for three days without any sleep. Although you started this a few months ago, you had been quite busy with other things and thus failed to finish it early.

Lord Elrond wished to have a copy of a book filled with the history of Middle Earth because the original copy that he had written himself was starting to become too fragile to carry around and handle. The pages were coming off and the ink had faded. And because he knew you were also quite skilled in drawing, Lord Elrond requested if you could include illustrations. With his guidance and vivid memory of the people he once knew, you brought to life the faces of the important people that made up history for the next generations to see.

You loved working on this project and you really didn't mind if you lost sleep over this. The urge to finish it was now stronger now that you only had a few pages to copy. You had a hunch that if you decided to finish it tomorrow, you'll find other things to take care of and momentarily forget about it.

"Go to sleep, Lindir. I shall go to bed once I finish this," you said before dipping your quill into the ink bottle. Your forehead was nearly touching the desk as you hunched your back. It was going to cause some back pain but that was alright. This was more comfortable at the moment.

Lindir sighed and walked back to your bedroom. You thought he had finally put down the subject and went to bed but to your surprise he came back to your study and walked towards you. Sitting up straight again, you watched him make his way to the couch placed beside your desk with a pillow in hand. Lindir sat on the couch and proceeded to make himself comfortable as he laid down.

"Darling, really, this won't take too long," you said, your eyebrows knitted together.

"It would be too lonely without you there. I have been sleeping for three nights without you beside me. I refuse to succumb to sleep once more if you are not the last thing I see."

Blood rushed to your cheeks but you smiled apologetically at him. "I am sorry, my love," you muttered.

To this, Lindir shook his head and shot you a fond smile. "I know you love what you do, darling. I am just worried about you and I have missed you. Continue on with your work. If I have fallen asleep by the time that you are done, do not hesitate to jostle me and squeeze yourself between me and the backrest of this couch."

"Alright," you said with a giggle.

And so you continued on with your work. For the most part Lindir was quiet. He knew you liked to work in silence for any other noise usually distracted you. But sometimes he would hum a tune. Lindir settled with humming because if he formed the words they might take away your focus from the project. When his song ended, the silence settled in once more.

An hour had passed since Lindir finished humming when you decided to take a short break. Two more pages and you'll be done! As you put down your quill, you heard a voice call out your name. It was your husband's voice but when you looked at him, you found that he was already asleep. Deciding to ignore it, you yawned and leaned back on your seat.

"...(Y/N)..."

You whipped your head towards your husband again but found that he was still as peaceful looking as how you saw him earlier. But you were sure it was his voice. And so with narrowed eyes you leaned forward and watched Lindir. A few minutes later, you saw his lips move to form your name.

"(Y/N)..."

You had to hold back a laugh. Oh how adorable! Your husband was sleep talking! Curiosity took a hold of you and you decided to see if he would respond.

"Yes, Lindir?"

"...no, that is my wife, get your hands... off!"

You literally squealed, finding Lindir absolutely endearing. With a hand over your heart, you smiled and waited for him to say something again.

"Glorfindel, I'll have you know... married to me... She doesn't like... pretty ellyn like you."

"Goodness! But you are a pretty ellon, Lindir," you muttered to yourself. And then you could not stop yourself from chuckling at the thought of Lindir actually describing Glorfindel as pretty.

While they were indeed friends, the golden-haired elf-lord was quite mischievous, carefree, and bolder in his actions. Lindir on the other hand was somehow shy when it came to his feelings, and strict and uptight for he preferred things to be in order. He has his mischievous side too and would sometimes plan things with Glorfindel, but most of the time Glorfindel would get on Lindir's nerves.

Letting Lindir dream peacefully and sleep talk for as long as he would, you took your quill and began writing. The idea of cuddling beside Lindir was tempting you, making you write faster. In less than ten minutes you were already done and you uttered a quiet cheer before standing up. You then made your way to Lindir and because he did tell you that it was alright if you jostle him in his sleep, you carelessly climbed over Lindir and squeezed yourself between him and the backrest.

Did you hit his cheek with your arm while you were trying to make yourself comfortable? Maybe. Did you also nearly kick his crotch and shin while you squirmed in his arms? You didn't know. But through all that Lindir only grunted and proceeded to put his arms around you and draw you close to him. Yes he didn't complain but you certainly waked him up.

"I love you," he muttered.

"Are you still sleep talking?" you asked. "And I love you too."

He opened one eye and looked down at you. "Have I indeed been sleep talking?" Lindir said. When you giggled and nodded, he asked what he had been saying.

Deciding to tease him, you closed your eyes and tucked your head under his chin. "You said Glorfindel was pretty."

Lindir made a retching sound and you let out peals of laughter.

"It is more likely for me to say I am fond of dwarves than declare that Glorfindel is indeed pretty."

"Alright, alright. But he was in your dreams, wasn't he?"

"..."

"Ha!"

"He was trying to take you from me!"