Magtiis -Elrond

(Request from Tumblr: Hi can I get a oneshot of "Loving you was the most exquisite form of pain I ever felt" with Elrond but with happy ending.

Author's Note: thank you so much for the request! Sorry it's a bit late, I was preoccupied *cough* SKIN DEEP THRANDUIL FANFIC *cough* If anyone has requests, feel free to send me a message or an ask! I will try to write it but please forgive me if they take a while to be posted 😆

Also I was wondering if people would like to be tagged whenever I post one-shots?

Warnings: maybe some angst? Maybe? But it's a happy ending though, and you be thankful for the one who requested that they specifically asked for a happy ending because if they didn't —iwasreallytemptedtowriteitasangstbut—)

There by the balcony, illuminated by moonlight, sat you—the love of his life, the one he held dear to his heart. You sat on your favorite chair, your legs pulled up as you worked on your sketch. It was an image of Rivendell, and every line you made, you drew with care. You looked so peaceful and ever so beautiful, with the moonlight giving you an ethereal glow, but he knew your mind and heart was greatly troubled.

Elrond padded his way towards you, afraid to ruin the serenity. When he was close, he gently placed a hand on your shoulder to indicate that he was there. But you didn't need any warning—you knew when Elrond was around, when he was near, even without looking up. You knew which were his footsteps and how quiet he tried to be whenever he enters the room. The moment you heard the door open and how softly it closed, and when you heard the slow and quiet rhythm of footsteps, you knew it was him and you knew what he was going to say.

But you didn't look up. Instead you continued to draw. You feigned interest on the trees that you were now adding to the image and on the waterfalls you could clearly envision. When Elrond noticed this, he sighed sadly and walked in front of you. He then kneeled and looked up at your face.

And because you could not resist, your eyes found their way to his. You could feel your heart break at the imploring look he gave you. Carefully you closed your sketchbook and set it aside before placing a hand on Elrond's cheek.

"You know why I must go," he whispered, leaning against your warm touch.

"It only makes it more painful for me," you said. "They say a year passes by in a mere blink of an eye for an elf. But when I am away from you, a day feels like forever."

You could no longer hold back your tears and they started to fall down your cheeks. Pain flashed in Elrond's eyes and he quickly reached out to wipe them away. His heart ached at the sight of you so deep in sorrow. But it wasn't just you who was hurting—Elrond also did not want to be separated from you. He wanted to keep you in his arms, wanted to stay and spend blissful days with you. But the world was cruel, and the world did not only revolve around the two of you.

The Free Peoples of Middle Earth yearn to remain free, and so they will do what they must to keep evil away from their lands and the people they love.

Even if this war takes years before it ends.

"It hurts me to see you like this. I know it will cause you more pain once I am away." With this, Elrond bows his head and pressed his forehead against your knees. His hands fell to his sides. "I understand if you would rather not wait for me. I do not know for certain when this war will end but if it pains you too much while awaiting my return, then I would rather you free yourself from the hurt."

There was a moment of silence and Elrond thought, and he nearly broke down when this thought crossed his mind, that you would agree to this. That you would stop waiting, that you would rather not look longingly at the path he had taken, that you would rather find someone else instead. But he wouldn't stop you if ever this was your decision.

All he wanted was your happiness. And he shall give it to you even if it leaves him heartbroken.

But he felt a hand try and lift his head and once again his grey orbs met yours. His heart soared when you placed a kiss on his lips and his tears started to fall when you pressed your lips against his palms.

"Love does not only come to bring us happiness and hope. Love also brings us sorrow and grief and pain. Loving you is the most exquisite form of pain I ever felt and I am willing to endure it." You wrapped your arms around him and smiled as he returned your embrace. "I will wait for you even for a thousand years as long as you promise that you will come back to me."

And so he mounted his horse and led his people and you watched him go and with him was your heart.

You waited and waited, looking forward to the occasional letters they had sent and writing back as quickly as you could. You waited there, gathering any news you could about Elrond. Every single time a message came you would hold your breath and every single time they contained the proof that Elrond was indeed still alive, you felt relieved. That was your routine for some time, at least until the messages barely came. For seven years you endured, crying alone in your bed and praying that he was safe.

But when word came that they had won, and that they were to come home soon, your heart was filled with hope. When the trumpets signaled their return, you waited for the Lord of Rivendell. Evident in everyone's eyes that even though they won, they were weary and burdened by the deaths of their comrades. So it was no surprise when you saw Elrond with an unfathomable expression on his face.

You kept your distance first because you knew he still had matters to attend to, but the moment his eyes caught sight of you, Elrond forgot everything else.

His feet moved and before you could even think properly Elrond had already gathered you in his arms.

How he missed you.

How he missed holding you like this.

"I am home, just like I promised," he whispered.

Magtiis

—(Filipino; Philippines) verb

Meaning: to endure, to withstand