Mahal -Thorin Oakenshield

(Author's Notes: Mahal is what the dwarves call Aulë in Khudzul, I think. But in Filipino, it has two different meanings. In this one shot, Thorin didn't die okay? He's alive and he's seen Erebor come back to its glory.

Warning: none this is fluff because I noticed I keep on writing angst for those who die in the books and they deserve more love.)

"How much is your love?"

You blinked, taken aback by the sudden question. You had done everything to ignore their pleas and words but this one seemed to stab you in the chest.

"What?" you asked, slowly closing your book shut. "What do you mean?"

"You turn down all those who ask to court you. You turn down their gifts, even though they are handmade and one of a kind. You turn down their words of affection." The dwarf that was trying to catch your attention that day glared at you. "How much is your love then? Is it worth all the gold in Erebor? All the diamond and rubies and emeralds? If someone gives all of these to you, would you then consider accepting someone's love?"

It was all too much for you to handle. It was insulting and absolutely obnoxious. You stood up, smoothed down your skirt, and glared at him.

"I am not obligated to accept someone's feelings just because they have given me gifts and have given me the best that they could," you snapped. "Even if you give me all the gold and all the precious jewels, if you do not hold my heart then I will never reciprocate your feelings."

You turned and started to walk away from him but he grabbed your hand and pulled so that you were forced to face him again. The dwarf leaned towards your face. His eyes were seething.

"You keep this up and you will live your entire life alone. No one will come to love you by then and you will regret turning me away," he hissed.

"I would rather live and die alone than be with someone who is only interested in me because of the rumours!"

You pulled your hand free from his grip. With one last glare, you left the room and tried to find a place where you could be at peace. It was by the lake that your feet took you. There you sat down on one of the larger rocks and there you tried to stop the tears.

Of course you were afraid. You didn't know what he was going to do. But you were sure that he was now going to spread more stories about how awful you are.

You were known for being the quiet one in Erebor. You had friends, but most of the time you spent your time in the library or making crafts. Never liking to be the center of attention, you tried to blend in with the crowd.

But you caught the attention of someone and he confessed to you about his feelings. You declined as politely as you could. You weren't interested in falling in love at that time and you didn't really know him well. It was a surprise actually when he came up to you and asked if he could court you. But he didn't take it quite well and told his friends how you rejected him. The issue then became bigger until it became a competition to see who could win your heart.

It left you distraught. Love wasn't a priority, but it was something you wished you will find in the right time in the right person. But with all that happened and all that could happen, you now find it hopeless to even think of finding someone who could actually love you.

Finding someone who will actually take the time to know you and all your flaws was something that was becoming impossible.

With a sigh, you tried to wipe away the tears. But while you were busy running the back of your hands over your eyes, you didn't notice a hand reach towards you.