Waiting -Legolas

He desperately wanted to go home and lay down on his bed. The thought of finally resting after a long day of guarding the borders was appealing, especially after facing his father and his father's cold demeanor. The urge to break off into a run was growing stronger when his thoughts turned to you being there in your house to welcome him home. He knew your presence can make this emptiness and sadness growing in his heart go away.

At long last, his hand reached out to turn the doorknob. The house was quiet and quite dark and Legolas scolded himself for not being quiet—he forgot it was past midnight and you were probably asleep. So he tried to make his next movements slow and quiet, and he also tried to mask his disappointment. He was expecting for you to be there. He sighed and told himself a kiss on your forehead to bid you goodnight would suffice for now.

But as he was removing his boots, he heard footsteps coming closer.

Legolas looked up and there you were with half-lidded eyes, yawning as you tried to smile at him.

"Legolas!" you said, stretching your arms wide open before you.

"I am home, meleth nin," he said, chuckling at how adorable you were. Oh how happy he was to see you, but he couldn't shake off the guilt when he thought of how he disturbed your sleep. But all that he forgot as his eyebrows went up when you wouldn't bring your arms down.

You pouted and said, "Hug."

Legolas blinked at your words, completely baffled. "Hug?"

"Yes, hug." You even nodded for emphasis.

Albeit still confused, Legolas walked towards you and melted in your embrace, wrapping his long arms around your form as well. You sighed happily and leaned your forehead against his chest.

Legolas wasn't complaining—he absolutely loved how warm you were and how you fit perfectly in his arms. But he was curious as to what made you be this affectionate in the middle of the night.

"May I ask what this hug is for, darling?" he asked, looking down at you.

You met his gaze and with eyes innocently looking up at him, you answered, "I just thought it would be nice to show you how much I love you and how much I appreciate the things that you do."

Legolas was clearly taken aback by your answer and you thought that he was going to be upset. But to your astonishment, Legolas tightened his embrace and nuzzled his nose against your hair.

"For years I have asked myself if I will ever receive love. The kind of love that makes you so happy it hurts your heart," he murmured. "When I lost my mother, I also lost part of my father. When I met friends, I thought I'd find the one. But for centuries I've always felt alone even though I wore a smile on my face.

"Through those times I was prepared to give up. But I'm so glad I didn't. I'm so glad I waited. I'm so glad you came."

You smiled and cupped his cheeks in your warm hands before pressing your forehead against his.

"You are worth all the painful waiting I did," Legolas whispered.