And The Sorrow And Hope In Between -Legolas

(Author's Notes: this is a series quite similar to "The Little Moments That Bring Us Joy" but while that series intended to remind you of the little things that make us happy, this one will acknowledge the little things that make us sad. I know it may sound weird and it may just pull others down, but hear me out.

I think there is also beauty in sadness. Even though it isn't a nice feeling and some of us drown in them (I've been there too) sometimes we come to realize a lot of things whenever we go through stuff like this. And I think it's nice to know that people feel the same way that we do, that we get sad or upset over these things. It's nice to know that you're not alone. It's nice to be acknowledged, that it isn't a petty thing like how others would see it.

I also wanted to show that there is hope and it can be found even/or most especially in the darkest of times. Maybe remind us too that there is hope. I hope in some way that through this, we can find strength in ourselves and know that we can push through.

Warning: this series will remind you of some sad stuff, so if this triggers you, please don't read. If this needs a more specific trigger warning, please let me know)

"What makes you sad?"

"When in the distance I see dark clouds, and I hear thunder rumble from afar. When lightning flashes across the sky and I stand by the window and wait for the rain to follow."

You turned to your side, still in your husband's arms, and saw the dark clouds from outside your balcony. Having just woken up from a nap made you feel groggy, but the sight of lightning and the thunder that followed a few seconds later made you feel even worse.

It was an inexplicable emotion. You really didn't mind the rain. Sometimes you loved to stand outside and stand there until you were drenched and the hems of some of your clothes were beyond saving. Sometimes you loved it because it gave you an excuse to wrap yourself in a blanket and stay longer in bed.

But there were days that you felt dread in your heart. You felt uneasy and your emotions mirrored the weather outside of the comforts of your home.

Today was one of those days and you didn't like it.

Turning again, you cuddled closer to Legolas and tried to ignore the thunder that was growing louder as it crept closer.

Your husband's hold on you tightened and you looked up in surprise and with a bit of guilt on your face. He had been out for days, guarding the borders with the other guards. Legolas had been longing for the comforts of home, with a soft bed to sleep on and with you in his arms. You thought you had been careful with your actions but when you saw that he was awake, you tried to open your mouth to apologize. But even before a word could leave your lips, Legolas smiled and shook his head sleepily before pulling the blankets up to your shoulders.

"I know, my love, I know," he whispered.

And his words brought relief and some sense of security. In his arms you felt warm and safe and away from the chill the rain brought. His words acknowledged what you were feeling and the fact that he did what he could to make you feel more comfortable instead of thinking that your sudden feelings of sadness was odd made you feel better.

Tucking your head under his chin, he began to sing a song. His voice was gentle and certainly softer than the thunder and pitter-patter of rain outside, but it was loud enough for you to hear and for you to focus on.

Soon you felt sleepy again. When you couldn't hold back a yawn, Legolas chuckled and kissed your forehead fondly.

"The rain will pass, (Y/N). Find comfort in that."

"But what gives you hope despite it making you sad?"

"The rain gives life to the earth and brings more color to the world. The rain always makes me look forward to the sunny days that will follow, the plants and flowers that will soon grow, and the rainbows that will adorn the skies."