Tadhana -Eomer

(From a request on Tumblr!)

"If you're going, then I shall go as well," you said, mounting your horse and checking if all that you needed to bring was with you.

Eowyn sighed. She knew she couldn't say anything or do anything to stop you. Like her, you were skilled in battle and you knew how to handle a sword and a bow and arrow. You wanted to help in any way you can. And since this battle required everyone who was able to hold a sword and fight, your immediate response was to disguise yourself, just like what Eowyn was doing.

But she knew she had to give you reason to stay. Because there is a reason to stay.

"(Y/N), please, think this through before you go," Eowyn pleaded.

"What is there to think of, Eowyn? You have allowed a Halfling to come to battle. I have nothing against you or your skills and will to fight," you said to the Hobbit. "I don't see why I couldn't go!"

"What about my brother?"

You stopped. Indeed you had been thinking of him. He was always on your mind. How could he not be? You loved each other very much and you had also planned to be wedded after all this is over. But the thought of him barely made you want to be left behind.

It made you want to be out there with him.

You didn't want to be stuck somewhere safe where you won't know if something happened to him. You didn't want to be the last one to know. You didn't want to be clueless about what was happening. You wanted to do something. It wasn't only Eomer's duty to fight and secure your future—it was also yours.

"Nothing will happen, Eowyn. We will win and we will get out of this alive."

And you did win. Your side won. It was another step towards the end, the victory, the downfall of the enemy. But did they rejoice? No. For how could one be happy in the middle of a battlefield where people you've known have died? Every battle won meant lives have been lost.

Eomer couldn't find it in his heart to rejoice. His sister had found a way to take part in this battle. And while she had done a heroic deed, it cost her nearly her own life. They've taken her and the Halfling to the healers, to see if they could still be saved. He kept reminding himself that his sister was strong, that she would be alright. Aragorn was there too, and he was known to be someone who was quite skilled in healing.

But even with all that, he could not stop the worry in his heart.

Near where his sister was found, he saw a sword. It was a sword with a long red cloth wrapped around its handle. Embroidered on the cloth with gold thread was a word: Tadhana

It was your sword that he had given you. Even though the sword resembled any other sword, he knew it was yours because he remembered that you wanted to mark yours. So you had cut a long piece of red fabric and embroidered something on it before wrapping it around your sword's handle.

Eomer found your sword.

But where was its owner?

"Eomer?"

At the sound of someone calling out his name, he turned around immediately. Eomer's question was answered—he found you there, barely standing upright, trying to make your way to him. But before you could take a step forward, your knees buckled. Eomer quickly ran to you and caught you before you could fall.

He wrapped his arms around you, relieved that you were there with him. He'd scold you later for being stubborn, for running out into battle with Eowyn. Right now he'd hold you close and be thankful that you were there.

But his hands found their way to your back and he felt something warm.

Eomer looked at his hands.

They were covered in blood.

You leaned heavily against Eomer's body, trying to breathe properly. But it was no good. The pain was too much, it was all you could think about. But Eomer's warmth provided some small amount of comfort. Eomer's warmth provided you the fact that it would be the last time you'll be close to him.

"(Y/N)!" Eomer exclaimed. "I-I will get you to the healers. We will get help. Hold on, I shall carry you."

"Eomer, just stop..." you whispered. "And let's stay like this."

"No, I am not going to let you—" He couldn't say it. He couldn't. He won't. If he says it, it would mean he had given up. And when did he ever give up on you?

"There is nothing that could be done, my love." You wrapped your arms around him, pulling him close, trying to remember this moment. Yes, this is nice—to be in his arms and to be held by him. It had always felt nice. It made you feel loved.

"But..."

"A power that is believed to control what happens in the future, to control what happens to a person or a thing," you whispered. "It was my fate—there's nothing we could do. Like how it was my fate to love you."

Eomer could no longer hold back his tears. His whole body was shaking, his lips were trembling. He looked up at the dark sky, praying and hoping that some miracle would happen. That some miracle would change this fate.

That somehow she would be able to stay by his side longer.

"And I accept it..." you continued. "But if it is our fate to love one another, and it's something we weren't able to do and see until the end, then I believe we'll be given another chance."

"(Y/N)?" Your hold on him was getting loose. Your body was getting heavier.

"In the next chance that will be given to us, let's see it until the end. Promise me that, won't you?"

* * *

You ran a hand through his gray and blond locks sitting messily on top of his head. The years have taken away the strength in you, but they never took away your love for him.

He smiled at your touch and let you rest your head on his shoulder. In return, he placed his cheek gently on top of your head and smiled.

"A power that is believed to control what happens in the future, to control what happens to a person or a thing," you whispered. "It was my fate to love you."

"And my fate was to love you too," he whispered back. "I kept my promise, didn't I, (Y/N)?"

You smiled. "You did, Eomer. We saw it until the end."

Tadhana

—(Filipino; Philippines)

Meaning: Fate