Me -Elrond

(Author's Notes: this is a request from someone for their friend's birthday! Happy birthday! And also congratulationssss! Their request is about the reader wearing a hijab and how Elrond reacts to it. Before we move on, I would like to say that Muslims are really kind and nice people. I've had the chance to become classmates and friends with them when we moved to Iligan City in the Philippines. I asked the person who requested this -who is also Muslim- more information about wearing hijab and stuff. I hope I was able to properly explain this. If there are some things that needed to be corrected, please tell me!)

When you were transported to Middle Earth, you thought things would be different.

Well, you were quite wrong.

It was still the same.

Wearing a hijab back in your world and here in Middle Earth still attracted unwanted attention.

The people still stare at you, just like how people did back in your world. And you totally get it—when you see something that you haven't seen before, you tend to look at it even more. That was fine, totally fine.

Back in your world, people already assumed a lot of things. Sad to say the people in this world also like to assume (although in some cases they were much more polite and kinder than the people in your world). And you still get it—even you assume things about someone even if you try not to. It was normal but what made you a better person was you were willing to know them as a person, to know them more, and not just identify them by how society did.

You were happy that more and more people back in your world were ready to listen to different sides of a story and are more open-minded. The problem that you were facing right now is that you were the only one in this world who can make a stand for yourself.

You were lucky to have been taken in by the elves of Rivendell. They were kind and very helpful, but of course when they insisted you take off your hijab for the rest of your stay there and when you declined politely and continued to wear it, many questioned your ways. And when you were insistent on not accepting wine and keeping away from it, some raised eyebrows.

Many were ready to ask questions and listen to your answers, but you were by now exhausted by their constant view of "It is a shame for it is a beauty to be able to show your lovely hair to everyone and put braids in them." or "But this is no longer your world. Surely you can get away with not wearing your headscarf here."

After a long day of avoiding people to avoid their questions, you found yourself looking out of the balcony in the library and admiring the moon. You were left wondering if you were able to go back to your world. Even with its tendency to fall into chaos, at least you had people understand you and your views.

You touched the ends of your headscarf and you were deep in your thoughts that you failed to notice that someone has already taken their place beside you. When you snapped out of your thoughts, you were greeted by a warm smile by the Lord of Rivendell.

"Lord Elrond," you said, bowing in greeting.

He did the same and smiled at you. "You seemed bothered, my dear," he said. "You have not stayed for too long after dinner. My sons Elladan and Elrohir were looking forward to meet you."

You sighed. "I'm really sorry—I promise I will meet them tomorrow. I was also very excited to meet them. Arwen has told me so many stories."

Elrond chuckled. "I assume they are stories about how mischievous they are."

You laughed along before looking back at the moon. Elrond placed his hands on the railing and then turned to you.

"I think I am correct that the whispers and the opinions of my people here have been bothering you," Elrond said. When you looked at him in surprise, he shook his head to let you know it was okay and continued. "I have to be honest with you, my dear, but even I have questions and I am very curious."

Before you could even grimace and try to find a way out of this conversation, Elrond smiled and gestured to the seats just behind the two of you.

"I would love to learn more about your culture and beliefs and opinions," he said. "I hope you believe me when I say that with me, you don't have to fear about judgement. I actually find it fascinating and I find you admirable. Even when people have a lot to say and even though you are no longer in your world, you still uphold your faith."

When you met his eyes, you had no reason to doubt him. His daughter, Arwen, was also one of those who accepted you for who you are. They were all so loving and understanding. So you sat down with him and tried to explain everything that you can explain.

"Hijab means a headscarf in Arabic, a language in our world. But it means more to us. It is a cover or a protection against evil things in the world. Some people in my world say that wearing these meant oppressing women but that is far from the truth. Women in Islam are respected and we have rights—how can you call that oppression? Also wearing a hijab is my choice. I love wearing it and it is a part of who I am.

"Most of the people in my world judge others by their beauty and by how they show themselves in public. Some people prefer to wear clothes different from ours, and that's fine. We just prefer to dress modestly and be valued more than just being a woman. What's wonderful about wearing this is that when people look at me, I can be seen as a person who has emotions, who has feelings, who has skills and ideas like everyone.

"But one of the most wonderful things why I wear hijab is that it shows that I am a Muslim. It shows what my faith is. If I see people wearing hijab like I do, I immediately know they are Muslim. It tells everyone I see that I am proud of it."

Talking to Elrond made you feel better. He showed interest, his eyes were bright, and whenever he saw how passionate you are while talking he couldn't help but keep on looking at you. There was just something so wonderful looking at someone while they talk about things they care about.

You also felt proud when you told him about memorizing 604 pages of the Qur'an—he was absolutely stunned at how you managed to do that. He could only guess how much time and effort you had spent to be able to memorize it all.

And when you told him how your world perceived you and your fellow Muslims, when you told him that people judge you for wearing modestly, that people jump to conclusions and that people think you and your people are dangerous, he was also sad to hear such news. Seeing the differences between different races wasn't new to him—the misunderstandings between dwarves and elves was something that could not be fixed overnight. But to hear that even in another world this problem still existed, it made his heart feel heavy.

When you were done telling him your thoughts and your views, Elrond offered you another smile.

"I think it is a courageous and a wonderful thing to have the same strength as you, to be so steadfast." Elrond tilted his head and looked at you. "It is true that we cannot change everyone's minds. We cannot make everyone understand us. There will always be people who will have the opposite views."

You nodded. "It is true," you echoed. "And I know your people mean no harm when they say such things to me."

"But it doesn't mean it does not hurt your feelings."

Elrond stood up and gestured to the door. You took it as a sign that he would be walking you back to your chambers. As the both of you walked through the corridors lit by lamps and candles, Elrond handed you something that was hidden in his pockets. You held it close to you, opting to open it when you reach your room.

When Elrond left, you closed the doors and sat on your bed. Curious as to what the package contained, you pulled on the twine and removed the wrapping.

You saw the contents and you could not contain your smile.

"I have noticed that it would be difficult to only have one headscarf to use while you stay in Rivendell so I took the liberty to have someone make a couple of these for you to wear.

—Elrond"