chapter 6

Next morning, by the time, Mahrosh woke up, Hukumyaar was already gone. She freshened up and headed outside, not knowing where she should head. She saw a lady dusting the furniture.

" Assalam u alaikum, Mam. What should I make for you in the  breakfast ? " She asked, coming near Mahrosh.

"Anything" Mahrosh said and followed her into the kitchen.

"Mam, please sit down." Rabia bi said pointing towards the chair. The house was made in western style. The wooden work gave it a warm feeling.

Mahrosh sat down and looked around. Rabia bi prepared toast with egg for her and also some fruits in a bowl.

"I can't  eat this much." Mahrosh said biting her lip as Rabia bi placed the food infront of her.

"Mam, eat as much as you can. You are so small and thin. Sir asked me to take care of you." Rabia bi said looking at her.

Mahrosh gave her a small smile and started eating. She couldn't eat much even after trying. Rabia bi changed her dressing after she was done eating.

Mahrosh spent the day looking around the house and resting.

Hukumyaar returned around 7 pm, Mahrosh was sitting in the lounge area, reading a book. She saw him approaching her.

"How was your day?" Hukumyaar asked with a smile, standing at the back of sofa.

"Good " Mahrosh replied and tried to get up.

"Sit, I will return in a few minutes, then we can have dinner." Hukumyaar said placing a hand on her shoulder. A veil was covering her head , even at night, she had slept with a dupatta loosely wrapped. He was worried that she would end up choking  but didn't say anything, as to not make her more uncomfortable.

He patted her head and went to his room. After changing into a comfortable Shalwar kameez, he returned. Mahrosh was standing near the dinning table. She wanted to help, but Rabia bi wasn't letting her.

"Sit down, she can do it. I don't want your wound to reopen again" Hukumyaar said pulling a chair for her.

Mahrosh sat down with pink cheeks. She was feeling embarrassed seeing their care.

"He would have asked Rabia bi about her wound as if she wasn't old enough to tell him herself." Mahrosh thought to herself.

Hukumyaar placed food in her plate. "I-I will do it." She tried to stop him, feeling even more embarrassed. She knew that men were to used to be served in their culture but he didn't stop. He placed food in his own plate after he was done with hers.
Rabia bi smiled seeing them.

"What class were you in ? " He asked Mahrosh.

"I was in 9th standard before all this happened." Before she could delve in her thoughts, he said "Okay, I will get the things ready for your admission here."

Mahrosh looked at him astonished. "What happened?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I didn't expect, I would be allowed to study again." She replied softly .

"You are my responsibility now, and I want you to study as much as you want." He said, flicking her nose. Mahrosh smiled a bright smile.

It was the first time, Hukumyaar saw her smile completely. He planned to see that smile as often as he could.