Chapter 95 Echidna

Kyoya suddenly opened his eyes as he found himself in a grassy plain. When he woke up, the pain he felt a second ago was still registered in his brain as he screamed in anguish. What the hell did he just experience? To be honest, he still felt terrified by it even now.

"It seems you passed your second trial. Despite that image of your deepest fear being in close proximity, you didn't even consider ending your own life to be free from that woman's grasp like you usually would. It seems this is working out perfectly."

As Kyoya turned to the source of the voice, he saw her

As Kyoya turned to the source of the voice, he saw her. The Witch of Greed, Echidna, was right in front of him. When Kyoya saw her, he stood up as he walked towards her. Kyoya sat down in a chair in front of the table Echidna was sitting at while he looked at her.

"For you to come back here of your own accord, that must mean you came to me because you needed something. Usually I never invite the same guess twice for a tea party, but your thirst for knowledge piqued my interest. In a way, it's just like my own greed. I wish to know anything and everything, after all. So then, what is you want answers to?"

"First off, Sun Village being frozen was your doing right? The fact both dad's ice and the one that froze the village both had the ominous feeling AND I was able to conduct them through my body was a bit too coincidental. Not to mention that Sun Village just so happened to be near the Sanctuary and that my dad worked with you."

"So it seems you've pieced things together. You're right, it was I who ordered Silver to freeze the village and it was also my fault that you had to fight him. After all, both events were required for you to inherit the magic that you now posses."

When Echidna said that, Kyoya instinctively looked at his right arm. Ice Devil Slayer Magic, that was his so called inheritance. As Kyoya looked towards Echidna for an explanation, the girl sighed as she looked at him.

"Always down to business, huh. Even if i'm the Witch of Greed, i'm still a young maiden at heart you know."

"Considering what I had to go through just to talk you again, a young maiden isn't the first thing i'd call you. So then, tell me why you froze Sun Village and why you needed Dad to help you."

"Isn't it simple? I did all that just for you and your inheritance. Devil Slayer Magic is pretty fickle. Learning it too quickly and using it in rapid successions could lead to something dangerous. First I had to make sure you were compatible with the magic. If you were able to unfreeze Sun Village, that showed you were a capable host for it. Plus thanks to the compatibility, you were able to defeat Byakuran. The fight with Silver was to see if you had the power and resolve to use this magic to its fullest if you manage to beat him. Also....you know you need it for what is to come."

Kyoya knew what she meant by that last sentence. He can't just pretend like the problem doesn't exist. The Zogratis family is still out there ruling the Spade Kingdom. He knows that sooner or later he may need to face them. Meanwhile, Echidna sipped her tea as she was thinking to herself.

"That second trial you endured was to test your mental strength. The consequences of your magic is that it slowly eats away at your sanity. If you couldn't even handle that trial then you definitely would go insane after abusing Devil Slayer Magic. Though your life has already taken a huge chunk of your sanity. It's a miracle that you haven't lost your mind and tried to end your own life yet. To be honest, if you did lose your mind, then your ancestor's awakening would be easier. Whether you kept your sanity or not, either result is fine with me. Though I personally would like to see if both results were to occur."

"Find then Echidna, I have one last question. Are there any people alive that have been cursed by a devil?"

"It wouldn't be any fun if I gave you all of the answers."

Kyoya just looked at the witch in annoyance. But at least some things were cleared up for him. As he was thinking, he saw a cup of tea next to him and immediately drunk it to calm himself down.

"How can you drink my bodily fluids with such a straight face?"

"Dammit!!!! I forgot about that!!!!!"

Kyoya immediately spits out some of the tea as he wiped his tongue. While this happened, Echidna couldn't help but laugh at the boy's reaction. As she looked at the ice mage, she began to smile.

"It's time for you to head back. As for what to do next......the Heart Kingdom looks pretty interesting. What I wouldn't give to go there."

Just as Echidna said this, Kyoya's body was no where to be seen in the grassy plains. As she knew she was alone, she began to think about the future. Soon a sigh began to escape her lips.

"If the Dark Triad has a monster like E.N.D on their side, then I just need to make Kyoya into an even stronger monster. I'll leave his growth to you, Kurono. After all, it's slowly approaching.....the Dragon King Festival."

~Outskirts of Sun Vilkage~
As Kyoya's eyes slowly opened up, he found himself back inside of the Sanctuary. When he did, he walked outside of the building and saw a single man standing before him.

"So this is where you were all day. I already took that Mukuro guy back to the Royal Capital. I guess now we're even, Kyoya."

"Benimaru

"Benimaru. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it."

The two mages stared at each other for a moment. When Benimaru looked at Kyoya, he could tell that the boy has gotten stronger. Meanwhile, Kyoya could tell that Benimaru was observing him. As the two looked at each other, only one thing was on their mind.

"Kyoya, I haven't had a good training partner in quite some time. I can't exactly let myself get rusty. I need to know that i'm strong enough to protect my turf. Plus who better to spar with than the person who saved my village."

"Heh. No matter where I go, there's always a flame mage that manages to get on my nerves. Fine then, I need the training as well. Plus I need to clear my head after everything that's happened. Let's do this, Benimaru!!!!!!"