Chapter 1

The alarm clock on my phone scared me out of my sleep. I sat up in my twin-size bed and looked out the window at the bright sun. I could hear old-school music playing from the kitchen. I smelled food cooking. I slipped on my fuzzy slippers and headed to the bathroom to take a shower. It was Monday - the worst day of the week. I jumped out of the shower, brushed my teeth, and plugged in my flat iron to style my long, 30-inch Brazilian weave. I slipped on my Victoria's Secret panties and matching bra, then put on a tight-fitting brown dress that matched my brown and tan sandals. The dress complemented my figure perfectly. After styling my hair, I grabbed my book bag and headed down to the kitchen where my mom was waiting. "Good morning, mommy!" I said with a smile, sitting at the table. "Good morning, Storm... I made pancakes for you - your favorite." I poured myself a glass of orange juice that was already sitting on the table. "Sounds great!" I smiled. As my mom set the table, she started to explain, "Storm... you know your dad has been gone for five years now... and I feel like it's just enough time for me to be happy again." She sat next to me after handing me my plate of eggs, sausage, and pancakes. She continued, "How would you feel about someone staying with us?" I looked at her, confused. "Staying? Like living with us? Who?" "His name is Charles. We've been dating for a little over a year now... I met him at work, he..." I cut her off, my confusion turning to anger. "Dating? You have a boyfriend, mom?" I was very angry. "Listen, honey... if it bothers you, I'll give you more time." I stood up from my seat, my appetite suddenly gone. "You know what... I'm not hungry anymore." I grabbed my book bag and headed out the door to school.