Six

"Okay, here's the rundown," Bailey eyed her six interns on Monday. "O'Malley, Karev, you're in the pit today. Stevens, there's a cardiac patient waiting up for you on 2. Yang, keep an eye on the Lamott's. I don't want any problems. Go," she said. They all left, leaving Erin and Meredith. "Your mother's being discharged this evening. You've made arrangements or do you need more time?" she asked.

"The nursing home is coming at eight," Meredith said. Erin rolled her eyes.

"Okay. Erin, you're in the pit, too. Ease you back in," she said.

"Thanks, Bailey," she said.

"Meredith, you're with Shepherd today. Derek Shepherd," Bailey said.

"Good luck, Mermaid," Erin waved and headed towards the pit. She found Karev and George talking over a few charts and walked to join them. "I'm with you two today," she said. They smiled at her.

"How are you feeling?" George asked.

"I'm healing. I'd love a distraction," she said.

"Well, we've got a GSW to the chest. Will that work?" Alex said. Erin grinned.

"That'll be more than enough. Let's go," she said.

"I did not peg you for a smoker," someone said. Erin turned from where she was stood at Quinn's grave, seeing Addison stood behind her with a coffee. Erin sighed and flicked the ash off of her cigarette.

"I smoked religiously at parties through college and medical school. I know medical school and parties sound mental together but my reputation, I'm sure, proceeds me," Erin said.

"Child genius. The chief said. He's very impressed by you," Addison said. Erin nodded and took a drag of her cigarette.

"Want one?" she said.

"I shouldn't," Addison said, taking one anyway. Erin handed her the lighter and she lit it up.

"I never really had to study. I've never failed a test and I've never studied for them. I'm the kid everyone hates. The one that never studies but still comes top of the class by a landslide. Either way, I could go to parties. I was the kind of girl who'd sleep with you if you got me drunk enough. Daddy issues, mommy issues, I was an easy target," Erin snorted. She took another drag. "I never got a name for myself because I was smart enough to leave in the morning before the other person woke up and if anyone said anything, I knew how to break their nose and make it unrepairable," she said.

"I did say you were feisty when I met you," Addison said. Erin smirked. "Should I be worried about you breaking my nose?" she asked.

"No, I'm past my punching days," Erin laughed. She flicked the ash off her cigarette again and took another drag. "Point is, I started smoking young. I had my first cigarette when I was thirteen. I snuck one from my mom, me and Meredith shared it on the roof of our treehouse. Meredith hates them but I've got a thing for ruining my life," Erin said. She sighed and sat down on Quinn's bench, the one Meredith had bought for her.

"Ruining your life?" Addison asked. Erin motioned to the bench and she sat down.

"I'm sure the drama train has gotten around and everyone knows I was disowned by my mother," Erin said.

"I have heard some things," Addison took a drag of her cigarette.

"Dad left when Meredith was five. It was my second birthday party, actually. That's the first thing I remember in my life. Mom and dad were screaming in the hallway, Meredith was trying to cover my ears while we hid under my bed, I was crying into my pillow. I remember him screaming that I was a mistake, that Meredith was, having our entire family was a mistake. Hearing that coming from your own dad, it kind of spurs you into trying not to be a mistake, all the while continuing to be one anyway. I'm bisexual and mom hates me for it, so I got disowned. I am the biggest mistake my parents ever made," she said.