Seventy nine

Erin's eyes fluttered open to see the bright sun burning into her face. Her entire body felt numb, like it knew it was currently experiencing something traumatic and was shutting down her senses and emotions so she wouldn't have to deal with it yet. She supposed that was her natural response to trauma.

She'd always shut off when things got dangerous and scary and their plane crashing was no exception.

She moved slowly, sitting up and checking that she could move her legs, arms and neck. She wasn't paralysed, which was a good thing, but she could see a shard of metal stabbing her in the inside of her right thigh, another shard of metal stabbing her in her left side, exactly opposite to where the gunshot scar was.

She was completely alone in the woods, wherever these woods were. There was one of the medical bags lying a few feet away from her so she slid herself over. The bag was upside down, the contents having landed somewhere else in the fall.

She had nothing to tie around her wounds.

She tugged her jacket off, biting one of the seams until the stitches started falling loose. She pulled the arm off and then looked at the metal in her leg.

She pulled the metal out with a gasp, the sharp edges slicing her fingertips.

She winced in pain but quickly tied the sleeve around her leg to keep the blood inside. She closed her eyes for a minute, fighting to push back the dull pain so she could do the same with her side.

She pulled the metal out of her side, her palms splitting this time. She tied the jacket around her side, gasping as she felt blood dribble down against her fingers. She knew this was bad. Everything about this was bad.

She wobbled to her feet and looked around, trying to focus so she could see if she could hear anything.

She could faintly hear somebody screaming, somebody that sounded suspiciously like Derek. She could hear somebody else, too, but she couldn't make out what they were saying from how far away they were.

"Meredith? Arizona?" Erin shouted, wincing as her voice cracked.

Her jaw hurt to move and she reached up, feeling a cut across her cheek and down to her neck. It was dried blood so she knew she must've done it hours ago. She'd seen dark sky when she'd flew out of the plane and it was day now so she knew it'd been hours since the plane had crashed.

She just had no idea where exactly the crash had taken them.

Erin sighed and looked around, spotting a few more plane ruins through the trees ahead of her. She nodded, starting to limp slowly over there to see if she could find anybody else.

"Erin?! Erin?!" Meredith screamed, looking around the woods desperately for her other sister.

She'd found Lexie trapped underneath the wing of the plane and she'd left her with Cristina and Mark. Arizona was with the pilot and couldn't move because of her leg, so Meredith was looking for Derek and Erin, the final two of their group to find.

Arizona had said that Erin had flown out of the plane before she could strap her in, and with Erin went Lexie and Derek. Lexie had been at the back of the plane and Erin and Derek had been on the inside of the aisle just in front of her. It was no wonder they'd been sucked out when the back of the plane had blown off.

"Erin? Derek?" Meredith shouted desperately, looking around again.

Erin stumbled down a hill to where the front of the plane was. She could see Cristina in the plane, probably talking to the pilot, and she could hear Arizona crying.