Seventy two

"Maternity leave is boring," Erin declared to Addison over the phone.

"What? Why? You get to be with your baby," Addison said.

"No, that part of it is great. But then I watch my mom's surgical tapes when he's asleep because I miss surgery, which makes me sad because I'm missing surgery," Erin sighed.

"Well, I'm sure I'm gonna have some good cases for you when you get back to work," Addison said. "Where's the little guy now?" she asked.

"He's asleep in his rocker. I am sprawled on the couch doing research into the diabetes trial now Jackson quit it and Webber's been blacklisted. I'm off it because of maternity leave but I'm still gonna try and help Bailey while I can," Erin said.

"How's everything going with all of that? Is Zola back?" Addison asked.

"She's not back yet but Meredith has quit neuro to save their marriage. Depressing but whatever works for them, I guess," Erin said.

"That's sad," Addison said.

"Yeah, tell me about it. I'm the one suffering being the awkward buffer between them. Derek's just angry at everybody, Meredith looks like someone stabbed her puppy in front of her, which they basically did by stealing her baby away, and now I'm suffering because Zona told me I should do the whole leaving part of maternity leave and leave the hospital alone. So, I am. I'm just not happy about it," Erin said.

"Arizona, hey?" Addison teased.

"Oh, shut up," Erin laughed.

"Did you two finally talk about the elephant in the room that is her feelings for you?" Addison said.

"Yes, we did. And I now have a girlfriend but I also have a newborn baby so everything is a little weird and new and we're working it out as we go," she said.

"Oh, please. If somebody looked at me the way that Arizona looks at you, I would be jumping for joy," Addison snorted. Erin rolled her eyes.

"You're annoying," Erin said.

"Thank you. How is Archie?" she said.

"He's asleep and I'm very happy about it because we had a bit of a bad night last night. I feel bad for Arizona. She stayed over and Archie was up every hour for one reason or another. There's a lot of people at the hospital, too, 'cause of some nerd event that went wrong," Erin sighed.

"How are you feeling?" Addison said.

"I feel disgusting. I need a shower, I need to brush my teeth, I need to wash my hair, I need to go food shopping before everybody gets home and I need to eat before I collapse," Erin sighed.

"Go and do it, then. Once you're up, it's easier," Addison said. Erin sighed again and closed her laptop, standing up with a groan.

"I'm up. I'm gonna go before I sit back down," Erin said.

"Have fun!"

"I won't," Erin laughed, ending the call and tucking her phone into her pyjama pants pocket.

"You know, I am both sad and happy that I am missing Catherine Avery's surgery today," Erin told Arizona as she packed Arizona some snacks for her workday.

"Why?" Arizona smiled, holding Archie while she sat at the kitchen table.

"Because I want to see the Catherine Avery perform some badass surgery, but I don't want to be there because I don't want her to pick me to help and for me to screw up massively in front of a legend who has read about my surgical method in utero," Erin said.