Forty

"Dr. Grey," Webber called. Erin looked up from the case chart she was doing. "I need you in my office right now," he said.

"Okay," Erin nodded. She stood up and followed him back to his office. He opened the door and motioned for her to go inside. "Addison? You're here. You're in Seattle," Erin said. Addison grinned widely at her and held her arms out.

"You're not gonna give me a hug?" she said.

"Hi!" Erin giggled, jumping into her arms. Addison spun her around, kissing her temple.

"I missed you," she said.

"I missed you! What are you doing here?" she asked. Addison put her back down and nodded at the chief.

"Well, I bumped into your sister on my way in and I found out that she has her clinical trial launching today," Addison said.

"Yeah, with Derek," Erin nodded.

"I hugged her," Addison said.

"You hugged her? They're not together anymore, you know that. I told you that when we were drunk," Erin said. Addison's face dropped.

"I forgot," she whispered. "I hugged her," she said.

"It's okay. Why are you here? Meredith's trial is brains," Erin said.

"Because she isn't the only one starting her work today," the chief said. Erin looked at him with wide eyes. "We have a case. Addison is here to launch the surgery with you," he said. Erin's jaw dropped.

"We have a case?" she asked.

"We have a case. We'll be going into surgery this afternoon after I do a skin-grafting surgery with Sloan," Addison said.

"Today? Today?" Erin said.

"Today. So, Addison will give you the patient notes and the charts and I want you to spend the day with her before her surgery. She knows that this is the first time this method will be used but I want you to explain it to her and tell her again that she does not have to do this," Richard said.

"Oh, my god," Erin whispered. "Oh my god! Okay!" Erin nodded.

"So, I would like you all to go over the plan one more time before you go into surgery," Webber said.

"Karev and I will open mom up on the table," Addison said. "We'll open up the amniotic sac and then it's time for Hahn and Sloan," she said.

"I will make sure the heart is functioning fully and then Sloan will cover the heart with the skin graft," Hahn said. Erin nodded slowly.

"We're gonna stitch the amniotic sac again if mom's condition is still stable and then she should be able to carry the baby to full term with constant monitoring," Addison said.

"What if we can't?" Karev asked.

"We'll deliver the baby prematurely," Erin sighed. She rubbed her face tiredly. "We'll put the baby in the NICU and it'll be monitored consistently there until the graft is healed and the baby can come off the machines," Erin said.

"And is that bad?" Alex looked at her.

"It's not ideal. Stitching the amniotic sac is difficult so it is more than likely going to be a full delivery today. It might be easier to perform the graft out of the uterus, especially if the baby does have this intestinal problem that the scans showed," Erin said.

"Are you okay?" Addison said. Erin nodded.

"I'm just thinking," she said.

"Need a minute?" Addison said.