Thirty six

"I hate pumpkins," Erin scowled, stabbing the pumpkin as Alex carved it.

"Stop ruining mine!" Alex said, pulling her knife out.

"I'm adding character. Stop being such a pussy," Erin rolled her eyes, stabbing the pumpkin again. Izzie snorted.

"You're a bitch," Alex said.

"Alright," Erin rolled her eyes. The kitchen door swung open and Meredith walked in with the urn holding Ellis' ashes. They watched as Meredith crossed to the island and grabbed a ziploc baggie.

"What are you guys doing up?" Meredith asked.

"Couldn't sleep," Erin, Alex and Izzie said.

"What is that?" Izzie asked as Meredith poured Ellis into the baggie.

"Our mom," Erin said.

"Happy freakin' halloween," Alex muttered. Erin stabbed his pumpkin again.

"What are we looking at?" Cristina asked in the intern locker room.

"Meredith put her mom in a baggie and brought her to work," Izzie said.

"I had to get her out of my closet. She was haunting me," Meredith said.

"And now she's haunting us all," Alex muttered.

"I'm putting her to rest," Meredith corrected him. The door opened and Sydney stepped in.

"Meredith is cleansing. In tribal culture, when one wants to cleanse the past, one cuts off all of one's hair and buries it in the earth. You might try that, too," Sydney said. The door opened and Callie stepped in with Bailey.

"Okay, listen up. Today is a holiday, which means the pit will be overrun. You've got the usual drunken stupidity," Callie said.

"And then you've got Seattle's annual chain saw pumpkin carving contest. I love this city," Bailey smirked.

"Stay on your toes, stay on top of your interns, okay?" Callie said.

"So we should round before heading to the pit or..." Izzie trailed off.

"Yeah, you should direct your questions to Dr. Bailey, Stevens," Callie said. Erin snorted into her hand.

"Oh, we're directing our questions to Dr. Bailey?" Cristina asked.

"Oh, not you. Just Stevens," Callie shook her head. Erin lowered her head to hide her silent laughter.

"Why is Stevens directing her questions to Dr. Bailey?" Bailey asked.

"Because she's been sleeping with my husband. All righty, then. Have a good day," Callie smiled and left the room. Erin waited until Izzie left through the other door before laughing out loud.

"I'm sorry but what the hell happened? I left for one fucking day and this is what I come back to?" Erin laughed.

"Okay, this is even more disturbing than your bagful of mommy," Cristina said.

"Hey, don't diss our bag of mommy," Erin and Meredith said.

"We could scatter her off the roof," Cristina said.

"She was afraid of heights," Meredith said.

"They're ashes, Meredith. The ashes aren't acrophobic," Cristina scoffed.

"I need to put my mother to rest. I need to not become her. I need to not die emotionally crippled and alone. And I need to not attend the wedding of Derek Shepherd and Sydney Heron. I need to put my mother to rest," Meredith cried.