Fifty nine

Teddy Altman and the Seattle Pres trauma surgeon stepped into the waiting room, finding the members of Erin's family all sat together as they waited for any news.

Meredith was sat with Arizona on one side, their hands still stained with Erin's blood but intertwined too tight to let go. Lexie was on the other side, crying silently as she worried about Erin, Derek and Alex, who had all been shot.

Mark and Callie were sat across from them, with Cristina and Owen beside them. Owen had been checked over and cleared again once he got to Seattle Pres, but he hadn't been able to operate. Bailey and Richard Webber were also there, stood across the room as they watched the doctors wait for any news on Erin.

Lastly, Jesse was there, too. He was stood in the corner, eyes firmly on the floor as he tapped his foot impatiently.

"Hey," Teddy said, catching everybody's attention. "She's in the ICU to recover, but she made it through surgery," she said.

Everybody practically deflated in relief.

"What's her condition?" Meredith asked.

"It was touch and go throughout the surgery. She lost a lot of blood and moving around made her injuries a lot worse, but she is expected to make a full recovery if she makes it through the night," Teddy said.

"Can we see her?" Arizona sniffed, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Normally, I wouldn't allow it, but I'm gonna make an exception because of what happened. In small groups, please," the trauma surgeon said, nodding at them before leaving.

"Mer and Lexie, you guys first," Arizona said.

They nodded, standing up and heading after Teddy to go to the ICU and see Erin.

The two Grey sisters stepped in, staring at Erin as she lay in the ICU bed.

She was intubated and hooked up to so many machines. She looked tiny in the bed, eyes closed as her chest rose and fell evenly. Her cheeks had some colour in them, though, and she wasn't shivering anymore.

Meredith stepped over, grabbing Erin's hand and squeezing it. She leaned down and kissed Erin's forehead softly.

"You're gonna be okay, Bear. I promise," Meredith whispered.

Lexie kissed Erin's cheek before the two of them left to let others visit and to check on Derek and Alex.

Bailey and Richard visited, the two of them sitting with Erin for a few minutes before leaving. Mark was next, with Callie following slowly. They did the same before heading to check on Derek and Alex. Cristina and Owen came after them, Cristina staring at Erin's body before leaving the ICU abruptly. Owen followed silently.

Jesse was second to last, staring at Erin in the bed before he had to excuse himself to call his family and tell them Erin had made it out of surgery.

Arizona was last, hesitating in the doorway.

She shook her head and stepped inside, sitting at Erin's bedside and taking her hand in hers. She intertwined their fingers, squeezing softly.

"I love you, baby Grey," Arizona whispered. "And I should've been there with you. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you," she whispered.

Jesse stepped back into the room, sitting at Erin's other side.

"The doctor said Erin was awake when they brought her into the OR. They said that she said she'd offered herself to the shooter to save Derek," Jesse said, voice exhausted and cold.

Arizona slowly looked from Erin to Jesse. It was clear he was angry.

"It's not her fault," she said quietly.