Forty six

"Erin," Addison shook Erin awake. Erin's eyes fluttered open and she uncurled from the chair she'd slept on at Archer's bedside. Addison had had to go and fill forms in with the chief and Derek all night so Erin had taken on the duty of watching Archer overnight. She'd fallen asleep accidentally but Archer was still stable so it was fine.

"Addie?" Erin mumbled, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" Addison whispered.

"Your brother is sick. Thought you might need someone to lean on," Erin sat up, wincing as she stretched her neck. She stood up and Addison pulled her into a hug.

"Thank you," she whispered. Erin nodded, rubbing her back.

"I'm here," she said.

"Erin?" Jesse said into the phone.

"Jess? You okay?" Erin said. Addison looked away from Archer, Naomi looking over curiously.

"Uh, I need a favour and this is gonna freak you out because we're going slow but you're good with kids and I need a favour," he said.

"What's wrong? Is someone sick?" Erin stood up and hurried out of the room quickly, putting her other hand over her ear to block out the noise.

"It's Pippa," he said. Pippa was his niece with downs syndrome. "I took her last night when Michelle had to go away for a business trip and I've got to go to a board meeting for the firm and I can't take Pippa but the rest of my sisters are out of town and my mom is in Iowa visiting my grandma. So, what I'm asking, really, is will you please take Pippa for a few hours while I do this meeting?" he said.

"Yeah. Yeah, of course. I'll come and get her. Uh, where are you?" Erin asked.

"In the lobby. I really have to go," he said.

"Oh, shit. I'll be down, now," Erin ended the call and started running towards the elevator.

"Erin?" the chief called after her.

"I've got to babysit Pippa," she said.

"Pippa?" he asked.

"Jesse's niece. Nobody else can take her," Erin said.

"You can take a few hours until he gets back," he nodded.

"Thank you," Erin said, spamming the close button on the elevator door.

"You're amazing," Jesse sighed as Erin ran over to them. He had Pippa in his arms, the two year old grinning with her teeth at Erin. Erin's heart stopped at the sight of him with Pippa. He looked so good with kids.

"Erin," she babbled. Erin smiled widely.

"Hi, Pips. You gonna come and play with me today?" she asked. Pippa nodded and Erin scooped her into her arms, putting her on her hip.

"Here is her bag. I'll be two hours, minimum, four max," Jesse kissed Erin quickly, handing over the diaper bag.

"We're gonna be fine, aren't we?" Erin bounced Pippa.

"Yeah," Pippa giggled. Erin smiled at Jesse.

"Go," she said. He nodded.

"Be good, Pippa," he said, hurrying out of the hospital. Erin smiled at Pippa.

"Shall we go and see some friends?" she said. Pippa nodded and Erin headed back towards the elevator. "So, this is the hospital where I work. It's called Seattle Grace. It's very big and there are a lot of doctors here, doctors like me. We fix people to make them better," Erin said. Pippa giggled and Erin laughed. "We're gonna be okay, right?" she said. Pippa nodded. "Right," Erin said.