Seventy

"I got suspended," Meredith breathed into the phone.

"You got what?" Erin whisper-shouted, putting her hand over Archie's exposed ear as she fed him.

"Suspended," Meredith said.

"You did it, didn't you?" Erin sighed.

"It's Adele," Meredith said.

"How did they find out? I didn't say anything," Erin said.

"Alex saw me when I did it. He wasn't going to say anything but he got plastered last night and spilled his guts to Owen, who told Derek, who told Richard," Meredith said. Erin scowled at the thought of seeing her best friend that night.

"What did Derek say?" Erin asked.

"He won't talk to me. And now we've just been granted temporary custody of Zola and Derek won't speak to me so I can't tell him and I'm so stressed," Meredith said.

"Okay, well, I'm feeding Archie so I'll put him down and I'll move the crib into her room and Archie will sleep in his moses basket until we can buy another crib. We can work on the clothes and the toys tomorrow," Erin said.

"Thank you," Meredith sighed. "I feel so shitty right now," she whispered.

"You did it for the right reason. For what it's worth, I'm proud of you. I would've done the same if it was me," Erin said.

"I just can't believe Alex sold me out. Oh, and Kepner is chief resident! How crazy is that?" Meredith said.

"Kepner?" Erin said.

"Yeah!" Meredith said.

"Oh, poor April," Erin whispered. "Nobody is gonna listen to her," she said.

"Exactly. Exactly," Meredith said. Archie unlatched from Erin and she lifted her shoulder to wedge the phone between her ear.

"I gotta burp the baby," Erin said, lifting Archie over her shoulder to wind him. "Okay, I need two hands for this. I'll sort the crib out so let me know what time you're gonna be home," Erin said.

"Thank you," Meredith ended the call and Erin dropped her phone onto the couch.

"Hear that, Archie? You're getting a cousin. Baby Zola," Erin cooed, rubbing Archie's back. "Yeah, you are," she said. Archie burped and Erin chuckled. "Good boy," she said.

"Erin?" Meredith gently nudged Erin with her knee. Erin's eyes fluttered open and she blinked tiredly at Meredith from her position on the couch.

"Oh, hey, Zola," Erin smiled at the girl in Meredith's arms, standing up and tickling her cheek. "The crib is in your room and little man is out for at least another hour so I've got time to help you put her down," Erin said.

"Thank you. Is Derek here?" she said.

"I haven't heard anyone come in," Erin said.

"I've checked everywhere and he's not here. Alex's things are gone, too. I told him to get out. I didn't think he really would," Meredith said.

"Oh, god," Erin sighed. "You know what? Let's ignore that for tonight. You go upstairs and get Zola into her pyjamas while I bring Archie and his basket up," Erin said.

"Okay," Meredith said. She gabbed her bags and headed upstairs with Zola, Erin following with Archie lying safely in his basket.

"Want me to get in with you tonight if he doesn't come home?" Erin offered.

"Is that bad for the babies?" Meredith asked.

"It's for one night. And, besides, they're cousins. They're gonna live here together for a while and they're gonna grow up having sleepovers. They need to deal with each other's sleeping habits," Erin said.