One hundred and twenty four

"I officially want to stab myself in the eye with my scalpel," Erin declared.

Alex chuckled from where he was sewing the hole in Lydia's diaphragm shut while Erin and Arizona tried to put some stitches into the stomach to keep it from moving up again.

"It's the worst diaphragm in the world," Alex said. He groaned as the stitch he'd just done pulled right through the muscle. "I am doing my most delicate stitching and it's not working. The muscle is falling apart. She needs a transplant," Alex said.

"Nobody has ever transplanted a diaphragm before and I don't think this is the right person for us to test it on," Arizona said.

"Do we have any other options?" Alex said.

"We could try 3D printing an enforcing wall, maybe? Like Cristina printed the thing for the heart?" Arizona said.

"We're going to need a shit ton of them made in so many different sizes so we can see which one fits best, and then there's the risk of contaminating all of them while we move them down here," Erin said.

"Where could we find a diaphragm for a transplant?" Alex said.

"Well, we'd need to find someone the same age who has the same blood type and then we'd need to wait for them to get into the position we need them to be in to take it, which might not happen because what parents of an eight year old are going to let us take their child's organ to attempt a transplant nobody has ever done before?" Erin said.

"Can we make a fake diaphragm? Or grow one? We grew a trachea," Alex said.

"It's literally falling to pieces in your hands. We're going to have to replace it with something," Arizona said.

"Erin, swap with me. You're better at the tiny stitches," Alex snapped.

Erin sighed and swapped places with Alex, starting to attempt to suture the hole up herself. The diaphragm wall was falling to pieces in her hands and she knew this wasn't good at all.

"What if we take some muscle from somewhere else and use it to block off the hole?" Erin said.

"Might reject it," Alex said.

"Same risk as a transplant or building her a new one," Erin said.

"It might work. Where would you take it from?" Arizona asked.

"I don't know. Any muscle that's stronger than this one?" Erin said.

"We can consider it. Can you close her for today?" Arizona asked.

"I can, but it won't last. She's going to have to stay in bed so she doesn't tear the stitching or move her muscles and induce another hernia. So, we're going to have to be quick. They said she wouldn't make it to thirty, but she won't make it to nine at this rate," Erin said.

"We'll think of something," Arizona said.

"We're going to have to," Erin said, a grim look on her face. "Or this kid is gonna die," she said.

Erin stared at the scans lining the walls of the CT lab she'd claimed to work on Lydia's condition. She had stacks of books open on the research of the treatment of this hernia condition, but there were only three hundred deaths reported a year for this and most were in children, as nobody knew how to treat them.

She knew it was late, too. Arizona had filled Meredith, Amelia and Maggie in on what was going on, so the three of them had taken the Grey-Robbins kids home while Arizona was currently in the library gathering more books on hernia conditions and Alex was phoning surgeons across the country who'd dealt with patients like this.