Fifty three

"You nervous?" Jesse looked at Erin as they stared at his mother's front door.

"Yes," Erin nodded. "Terrified. But it's fine. I want to do this," she said. Jesse smiled and rang the doorbell.

"Welcome to the madhouse, baby Grey," he teased. Erin laughed.

"You're spending way too much time with my work friends for you to know that nickname," she said. He smiled.

"Worth it," he said. The door swung open to reveal Jesse's mother, Katherine. She stood there with a wide smile on her face, brown eyes glittering under the glasses she was wearing.

"Erin Grey! My son has finally brought his girlfriend to meet the rest of us. Merry Christmas! Come in, come in," Katherine said, grabbing Erin's hand and pulling her inside the house.

"It's so nice to meet you," Erin chuckled.

"Oh, dear, we're so happy you're here. You're all Jesse has been able to talk about for months and, well, it's nice to finally put a face to the stories," Katherine said.

"Mom, you're embarrassing me," Jesse said, following them through the homely house and into a living room that looked a lot like a Christmas display at a store. There were presents everywhere, food everywhere, decorations practically bursting on the walls and happy people all around.

Erin felt majorly out of place here but she couldn't help but feel quite excited, too. Christmas had never been a big thing for her and Meredith so this was like Winter Wonderland.

"Everybody, Jesse and Erin are here!" Katherine announced. "You know Michelle and Pippa, but this is Michelle's husband, Kevin, and their other kids, Elliot and Michael. This is Allison and her husband Lucas, their kids Louis, Justin and Katie. And my final two girls, Hannah and Jennifer," Katherine said.

"It's nice to finally meet you all," Erin smiled.

"Oh, talk about finally!" Hannah gasped, grabbing Erin's hand and pulling her to sit on the couch between the other three Mclaren sisters.

"We think Jesse's been making up stories about how often you work at the hospital, just so he can hide you away for a little while longer," Jennifer agreed.

"How is the hospital?" Kevin asked.

"Jesse tells us you're a surgeon," Katherine smiled, sitting on the armchair. Erin blinked in surprise.

"Yeah, I'm a surgeon. I'm a resident and the hospital is great. I finished my shift about an hour ago, actually," Erin said.

"Did you do any surgery?" Louis perked up from where he and Michael were playing with toy cars.

"I did, actually! I delivered a baby this morning. A christmas baby is really exciting," Erin smiled widely.

"Oh, boy or girl?" Katherine asked.

"A baby girl. Noelle," Erin said.

"That's a beautiful name," Jennifer gasped.

"I'd love to be a surgeon," Hannah hummed.

"A lot more blood than you'd expect," Jesse said.

"Really? You've seen some?" Elliot perked up.

"Oh, yeah," Jesse smiled, lifting his nephew onto his lap. "Erin took me in to one that her brother in law was doing. He's a neurosurgeon, so he works on brains," Jesse ruffled his hair, making Elliot laugh loudly.

"Oh, Jesse's told us all about Derek and Meredith, too," Allison said.

"They're not spending Christmas alone, are they?" Katherine asked.