Seventy four

"You know, why not try adoption again?" Alex suggested on the ride back

"Social services just took our kid away. What do you think, if we wait a week, they'll forget and give us another try with a new kid?" Meredith scoffed.

"Alright. So, get a surrogate," Alex said.

"Alex," Erin shook her head.

"Why not?" Alex said.

"Because I don't want a surrogate. Okay? Just drop it," Meredith snapped.

"No. You just don't give up like that," Alex said.

"It's nice that you care, but it really isn't any of your business," Meredith said.

"It is. It's my fault. I can't handle being responsible for you not having kids. It's too much," Alex looked down at his lap again.

"It's not your fault," Meredith said.

"Yeah, it is," Alex said.

"No, it's my fault. I got the ball rolling. I messed with the trial. What you did was turdy, but what I did was illegal," Meredith said.

"Who cares? You just don't give up. It's lame. You're not a quitter. That's not who you are," Alex said. The ambulance engine spluttered and they pulled to a slow stop. "Dude, what's the problem?" Alex said, peering into the front.

Erin looked at Meredith with a frown.

"He's right. Don't give up. There's got to be a way and I'm gonna help you find it," Erin said. Meredith just shrugged, looking at the baby in the incubator.

"What happened to the engine?" Alex asked as the ambulance driver opened the doors, grabbing the cones by the doors.

"I don't know what the crap it is. I called for another unit, but we're in the middle of nowhere. It's gonna take forever. I'm putting these out and I'm gonna run back. It looked like there was a store or something about half a mile back. Maybe they got a truck. You gotta get out of the rig," he said.

"It's pouring rain and freezing. We can't go out there with the baby," Meredith scoffed.

"There's no shoulder. It's not like we can just take the incubator out. I mean, there's not even anywhere to stand," Alex said.

"This thing is full of oxygen tanks. We get hit, it'll go up like a roman candle. You gotta get out," the man said.

"And leave the baby?" Erin said coldly.

"She'll die," Meredith said.

"You want to all die? I'm putting these out. You better hope people can see 'em. You're on a hill and you're on a curve. I'm telling you, get out the damn rig," he said, moving away. Erin and Meredith looked at Alex with wide eyes. He looked back, eyes just as wide.

"Okay. Okay, I'm gonna try and call Arizona and find out what we should do," Erin said.

"Okay," they nodded. She pulled out her phone, tugged her hood over her head and climbed out of the ambulance, dialing Arizona's number.

The call went to voicemail straight away, meaning her phone had either died or was turned off. Died was the most likely option, considering this situation wasn't one to turn your phone off in.

Erin groaned and called Jackson instead, knowing he would find Arizona.

"Erin? You okay?" Jackson said into the phone.

"You need to get us to Arizona right now. The rig broke down and we're stuck on the side of a hill on the curve," Erin said.

"Erin? I can't really hear you," he said.