One hundred and twenty eight

"Good morning," Erin walked into Lydia's room two weeks later, four weeks officially after her surgery had been finished.

"Morning," Lydia smiled at her.

Lydia and Jack were colouring in on the sofa, while Kaitlyn and Brianna were taking down the things in Lydia's room.

"Happy release day! You guys excited to go home?" Erin asked.

"Yeah!" Lydia said.

Today was Lydia's release day, and it was also Amelia and Owen's wedding. Erin had come early to get Lydia out before she went to help Amelia get ready for the wedding.

"Well, your moms have signed everything and so have I, I've given you guys my personal number for if Lydia is having an emergency or anything, and I've definitely given you the folder with everything to do with her recovery in," Erin said.

"We've got it all ready," Brianna nodded.

"Okay, great! So, I'll be seeing you guys in like, two weeks for a quick scan. If that goes well, we're gonna push it back to monthly ones. If you get three good months in a row, we go to every two months, and so on. So, you won't have to see my face much anymore," Erin smiled at Lydia, making her laugh.

"I like your face. It saved my life," Lydia said.

"We heard some doctors talking about a trophy you might get for this," Jack said, looking curiously up at Erin.

"Oh," Erin frowned. "The Harper Avery. Yeah, uh, apparently I've been submitted for this years award. I don't think I'm gonna win, though, so it's okay," Erin said.

"You should win. You're the best," Lydia said.

"Thank you, Lyds. Now, what do you say I walk you guys out so you can finally go home?" Erin said.

"I say that's the best idea you've had all day," Lydia grinned at Erin. Erin chuckled and grabbed Lydia's bag, helping Lydia shrug it on carefully.

"You're cheeky. C'mon," Erin smiled at the family, leading them out of the room and towards the elevator to leave.

"Hey, if you do win it, will you tell us?" Lydia asked.

"Of course. But I don't think I will. I didn't do this for that," Erin said.

"I know, but it'll be cool if you get an award for it, anyway," Lydia smiled.

"Super cool," Jack nodded his agreement.

"The coolest," Kaitlyn and Brianna smirked.

Erin gave them another smile, though there was no heart in this one.

If she won the Harper Avery, where did her career go from that point onwards? She'd created the Quinn method, had helped find a cure for a form of cancer, had become double board certified and had just completed the first stomach and diaphragm transplant in medical history. If she won a Harper Avery, she'd completed more than any surgeon could hope to complete in their lifetime.

What came next? Would more people come to her with insane medical issues that they would just expect her to whip up a solution for like Kaitlyn and Brianna had done? Would she be stuck in the loop of creating surgery after surgery and driving herself insane with the anxiety over whether this was the one case she was taking too far?

The truth was, Erin didn't know what came next in her medical career. And she wasn't fully sure she wanted to find out what else there was left for her to try.

Erin hurried into her house half an hour later, thanking the gods she'd taken a coat with a hood because it was pissing down with rain outside. She shrugged her coat and shoes off and hurried upstairs, stopping when she saw Maggie stood by the bathroom door with her finger to her lips.