Sixty six

"Cristina!" Erin shouted, hurrying down the hallway after her friend and Dr. Altman. They both turned and Erin skidded to a stop, pulling a scan photograph out of her pocket. "Meet your niece or nephew. They'll arrive late July, early August," she said. Cristina took it and stared at it.

"Yours?" she asked.

"Three months today, just got my scan," Erin nodded.

"Are we happy?" Cristina said.

"Delighted," Erin said. Cristina smiled and pulled Erin into a hug.

"I'm happy for you, baby Grey," she said. Erin laughed.

"Thank you," she said.

"Congratulations. I didn't even know you were seeing someone," Teddy said.

"I'm not," Erin said. Cristina raised her eyebrows. "Jesse doesn't want it. So, single parenting is how it's gonna be. So, I'd kind of really love it if you were cool about this and wanted to be the cool aunt who teaches my kid to suture before they should," Erin said.

"Who else is gonna do that? Of course I'm cool about it," Cristina grinned.

"Good. Good. Thank you. Right, who's next?" she mumbled. "Jackson and April. Seen them?" she asked.

"Uh, April is in the ER and Jackson should be with Mark Sloan," Teddy said.

"Okay. Thank you," Erin said, hurrying down the hallway to find April first. She knew telling Jackson wasn't gonna go brilliantly so she figured she'd tell April first.

"You're pregnant? That's amazing! Oh my god, I love kids. Can I babysit?" April hugged her tightly.

"Yeah, of course," Erin smiled.

"Is Jesse happy?" April said. Erin's smile dropped.

"Uh, Jesse's not gonna be involved. So, the babysitting will be really handy. I'm gonna take all of the help that I can get," she said.

"Oh, you poor thing," April frowned. "It's okay. We're a family. We can get through it," April said.

"Thank you," Erin squeezed her hand.

"Get through what?" Jackson's voice came from behind them. Erin shook her head rapidly as April opened her mouth.

"April, shut up," she said. April closed her mouth again. "Jackson, you got a minute?" she said.

"Yeah, why?" Jackson frowned.

"Let's go," Erin grabbed his arm and led him to an on-call room.

"Are you in trouble? Did you kill somebody? Do I need to help you bury a body?" Jackson closed the door.

"No, nobody is dead. Quite the opposite, actually," Erin chuckled. "I need you to promise not to freak out, okay? You're protective of me, everybody is, and I know that you're gonna want to go and punch Jesse in the face but right now, I need you to be here for me," Erin said. He nodded slowly.

"Okay. I promise," he said.

"Okay. I'm, uh, I'm three months pregnant with Jesse's baby but Jesse doesn't want to be involved. He's terminated his parental rights so I'm gonna be raising the baby alone. Alex is gonna be godfather, Arizona is gonna be godmother, but I'm gonna need everybody to help me do this because I don't know how to raise a baby to be bright and shiny instead of dark and twisty," Erin said.

Jackson's jaw clenched but he stepped forward, pulling Erin into a tight hug.

"I've got you. Whatever you need, alright? Whatever you need," he whispered.