One hundred and sixteen

"Hello, baby," Erin cooed to the baby in the NICU she was tending to. Alex and Arizona were at incubators on either side of her.

"Little girl's going into renal failure," Arizona said.

"Boy's lungs are crapping out fast," Alex sighed.

"Maybe we'll get lucky and the parents will be a match," Arizona said.

"Jo hit me up about having kids today out of absolutely nowhere. Is that what happens? You shack up, and then suddenly your ovaries go into overdrive?" Alex asked.

"Aw, I think you'll be a good dad. Your babies will be so foul-mouthed and dirty and cute," Arizona smiled.

"Yeah, you're great with our kids," Erin said.

"I just didn't think we were there yet. I don't know if I am. Definitely didn't think she was," Alex said. Arizona gasped.

"Alex," she said.

"What?" he asked.

"What if you're already there? W-what if she's asking 'cause she's already knocked up, and she's just testing the waters?" Arizona whispered.

"Why would you even say that?" Erin and Alex cried.

"We tested the parents. The results are back," Ben walked over.

"Mason, you are a match to do a directed donation," Alex told the dad.

"Thank God," the mom sighed.

"Okay," Mason laughed.

"That's good, right? Why don't you look like that's good news?" the mom frowned.

"Um, Laurie... I'm afraid that you're not a viable candidate," Arizona said.

"Uh, we still have one. I'll split it," Mason said.

"I'm afraid we can't. The lobe of your liver that we have to take is-" Ben started.

"We'll need two donors," Alex said.

"Wait. What happens if we don't find one? One of the babies dies?" Laurie asked.

"We're talking to UNOS, and we're hoping-" DeLuca started.

"I don't want to hope. I want to know that I won't have to choose between my babies," Laurie cried.

"Laurie, shh, it's okay," Mason said soothingly.

"It's not okay. Don't tell me that it's okay. At least there's something that you can do," Laurie snapped.

"It's not your fault. Look, we have one. Let's just be grateful that we have one," Mason said.

"I know it's not my fault. You wanted to be surprised. You didn't want to know the sex," Laurie said.

"Okay, they said it wouldn't have made a difference," Mason frowned.

"Well, maybe it would have! Maybe there was something that I could have done and... I am their mother, and I can't do anything to help them," Laurie said angrily.

"Stop yelling at me for being able to. It's not my fault," Mason cried.

"Well, then, you decide, Mason. You tell these doctors which one of our children has to die because-" Laurie started.

"You're not deciding. We are," Alex said firmly. They both looked at him.

"You can't make a decision like this. You shouldn't have to," Erin said.

"That's why we're here. We'll evaluate, we decide. The baby that we see is stronger, is doing better, has the better chance to thrive, will get the donation," Alex said.