Thirty two

"Erin! Erin!" someone called as Erin walked past patient rooms to meet Arizona for coffee. She stopped and turned slowly, seeing Susan and her father sat in one of the rooms.

"What are you guys doing here?" Erin stepped in. "Is something wrong?" Erin asked.

"They're running tests. I just have a little fever and Dr. Bailey thinks she heard a murmur or something. A complication from the surgery, they said," Susan said.

"Bacterial endocarditis?" Erin grabbed the chart and opened it. "Yeah, okay. That's fine if it's that. They'll give you some antibiotics and it'll knock the infection right out of you. You'll have to be admitted so we can monitor it but there shouldn't be any problems. I'll go and see about hurrying your tests, okay?" Erin said.

"Oh, it's okay, we can wait. We don't mind waiting," Susan said. Erin's pager beeped and she checked it. Arizona was waiting for her at the nurses station with a surgery for her to scrub in to. She wasn't supposed to be doing surgery, she was supposed to be revising, but she wasn't gonna pass this up.

"I've got to go and scrub in on a surgery with Dr. Robbins but I will come by as soon as I'm finished and make sure everything is okay," Erin said.

"It will be okay, Erin. You're a worrier, aren't you?" Susan smiled. Erin chuckled and nodded.

"Yeah, that's me. I really have to go 'cause it's a kid I'm operating on but I'll be back as soon as I'm done and I'll bring coffee and tell you guys all about it," she said.

"Have fun cutting a kid open," Thatcher said, a strange smile on his face like he couldn't believe the words he'd just said. Erin laughed and nodded.

"I will. Thanks," she said.

"Dr. Grey, that's your pager again," a nurse said.

"Who is it?" Erin looked up from the child's liver.

"The other Dr. Grey," she said.

"Is there a number?" Erin asked.

"No, she's just paged you," she said.

"Okay, uh. Page her back with OR3 please," Erin said. The nurse nodded.

"What do you think it is?" Arizona asked.

"Our step-mom is in with an infection. Probably just an update about her," Erin shrugged.

"Do you need to go?" Arizona asked.

"No, we're almost done. It's okay," Erin said.

"Okay," Arizona nodded.

"Dr. Grey, she paged again with 637," the nurse said five minutes later.

"Shit," Erin looked at Arizona with wide eyes. "I need to go. That's our version of 911," she said.

"I can finish up. You go," Arizona nodded.

"Thank you," Erin nodded and quickly ripped her gown, mask and gloves off. She threw them into the bin and opened the door. Meredith was waiting outside and looked devastated. "What happened?" Erin asked.

"She had to get rushed into surgery. The chief and Bailey were operating on her but... She's gone," Meredith shook her head. Erin felt her stomach drop and she leaned against the wall uneasily.

"Okay. Okay," she whispered. She nodded slowly to herself. "Okay, so, Susan's dead. We have to tell dad. Shit! We have to tell dad," Erin hissed.

"I'm going to do it now. I just thought you should know first, in case he said something to you," Meredith said.