Sixty five

"Are you kidding me? I get out of surgery to find out our dad has a twenty year old girlfriend?" Erin skidded to a stop at the nurses desk, raising her eyebrows at Lexie and Meredith.

"Yes. Bailey's got the results now," Meredith said. Bailey walked over and the three of them headed inside.

"The blood tests indicate that your liver is fine. Is there anything at all that you've left out?" Bailey said.

"It's when he pees. Uh, just now and then last Thursday, we had Mexican food, and he drank all this water because it was spicy, and he went to the bathroom as soon as we got home. I was freaked out when he screamed later during the sex, I didn't even connect it," Dani, Thatcher's girlfriend, said. Erin almost laughed at the thought of her father having sex.

"Uh, all right, all right. Good. That helps," Bailey said.

"So what-what do you think it could be?" Thatcher asked.

"Well, it could be kidney stones or your prostate," Bailey said.

"Prostate? Are you saying he could have cancer? He... He can't have cancer," Dani stuttered.

"That's what happens when your boyfriend's an old man. Old men get cancer," Lexie said. Erin bit her lip to bite back her laugh.

"Lexie, come on," Meredith said.

"No, but see, if you were a doctor like we are, you'd realize that when we use the word prostate, it doesn't necessarily mean cancer," Lexie said.

"Dr. Grey-" Bailey tried.

"No, see, freaking out and jumping to conclusions like a little child isn't gonna do him any good," Lexie snapped.

"I am scared, okay? I am terrified over here, and I've got questions," Dani said.

"You're terrified? We're his family," Lexie said.

"I am his family, too!" Dani cried.

"No, you're not his family! You're his midlife crisis!" Lexie said loudly.

"Lexie, Lexie," Erin grabbed her hand quickly. "Shut up," she said.

"That's enough. You're out of line," Bailey said. "Erin, get her out of here," she said.

"Let's go, Rambo," Erin said, pushing her sister towards the door. "Go and shout at Mark instead," she said.

"How are you not pissed off?" Lexie said. Erin shrugged.

"I don't remember the guy. I don't. All I remember is him leaving and saying I'm a disappointment and that he regrets having me and Meredith. Meredith remembers him. You had an entire childhood with him. I had two years and I don't remember them. I don't get to be pissed off and I'm not," Erin said.

"Motherhood makes you wise," Lexie muttered.

"I'm always wise," Erin laughed. "Go and shout at someone else, alright? He's gonna be fine. It's probably just a kidney stone," Erin said.

"You sure?" Lexie said.

"Am I ever wrong?" Erin said.

"Not really," Lexie said.

"Exactly. Trust me," Erin said. Lexie sighed and nodded.

"Okay," she said.

"Kidney stone," Meredith said. Erin looked up from the diabetes research. "And the chief wants to talk to you. What are you gonna do?" Meredith asked.

"I think I'm gonna help cure diabetes," Erin said, closing the folder over. "Thanks for telling me," she said.

"Have fun. Tell Richard I'm gonna stick with Derek, okay?" Meredith said.