One hundred and forty

Alex and Richard walked down the hallway later that day, their eyes glancing around the ward until they spotted Addison sat against a wall next to a closed door, her head in her hands as she stared blankly at the floor in front of her.

"What is it?" Alex hurried over, kneeling beside Addison and putting his hand on her shoulder. "Is she okay?"

"She's okay," Addison mumbled, looking up at him with red-rimmed eyes. "It's just... She looks so small in that bed, so sick. And... And Archie is losing it, and Jo is, too, and Arizona can't stop looking at Erin in case she just slips away, and Amelia and Meredith are at each other's throats and Maggie is trying to keep them all together but she's terrible at it because Erin is the one who takes care of everyone."

Alex stood up and opened Erin's door, slipping inside the room. Richard helped Addison to her feet, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and tugging her into the room after Alex.

Arizona, Amelia, Maggie, Jo and Archie were still in the room. Meredith was the only one missing. Arizona was sat at Erin's bedside, fingers intertwined on the bed. Amelia was sat beside her, Maggie squished into the same seat with Amelia tucked under one arm.

Jo was sat on the sofa in the room, Archie curled up on her lap with his head on her chest, both of their eyes watching the slow rise and fall of Erin's chest with the vent helping her breathe.

"Alex," Maggie said. "Richard. Hey."

"How is she?" Richard asked, rubbing Addison's arm.

"No change," Maggie said. "Not strong enough to come off the vent, yet."

"Any response to touch?" Alex asked.

"Not yet," Amelia said. "It could just be her body recovering, though. She went through a lot of trauma."

"Do we have a plan to move her?" Richard asked.

"Not yet. We're gonna wait until she wakes up and then figure things out," Maggie said.

"Where's Meredith?" Richard asked.

"No idea," Jo said.

"She left mama. Again," Archie muttered, Jo running her fingers up and down his arms soothingly.

"Oh, yeah, uh, Archie has decided he's pissed at Meredith, now," Jo said, at Alex and Richard's raised eyebrows. "We're working on it. We're having a lot of big feelings right now and we are currently experiencing anger."

"Rage," Archie said lowly.

"Rage," Jo corrected herself. "Of course," she smiled weakly.

Alex glanced at Arizona, who was still spaced out. He looked back at Maggie, who shrugged.

"He's only listening to Jo, right now," she said.

"You remind me of mama," Alex sighed, ruffling Archie's hair.

He stopped and slowly looked up, his eyes meeting Jo's for the first time since his arrest over beating the shit out of DeLuca. Their worlds were falling apart even before Erin's accident, but they were both still here, together, because Erin had brought them into her family and they both loved Erin enough to pretend nothing bad was happening between the two of them.

"You okay?" Alex asked quietly.

Jo stared at him for a few seconds, then tried to blink away the tears forming in her eyes.

"No. Are you okay?" Jo whispered, voice shaky.

"No," Alex sighed, dropping down into the seat beside Jo and taking the hand Archie held out for him.