Thirteen

"What are you gonna do?" Meredith said.

"Die, probably," Erin took a drag of the cigarette. Meredith had relented and allowed Erin to have one after the day they'd had.

"Don't be stupid," Meredith smiled slightly.

"I can't say yes. I barely know him. We've been together for three days, dating for like, a month. It's weird to say yes. It's insane to say yes. I'm not saying yes. But I can't say no. He'll hate me if I say no," Erin said.

"Do you like him enough to consider it in the future?" Meredith asked.

"I don't know," Erin sighed.

"What happened with Addison?" Meredith asked. Erin flicked the ash off her cigarette and watched it land on the windowsill.

"We kissed before Rob found me on Friday. I called the nursing home and mom had just said I was her daughter and I was emotional and she found me and I kind of cried and then we were like, almost kissing. And I told her to say no but she didn't, so I told her to say yes, but she didn't so I told her to leave, and she kissed me. And then Rob was coming and I told her to go but she wouldn't go and she's weirdly obsessed with my relationship and she's meant to be fixing things with Derek so why is she kissing me again?" Erin said.

"That's complicated," Meredith said.

"I know," Erin muttered.

"Well, do you like Addison?" Meredith asked.

"It doesn't matter if I did. I've cheated on Rob, she's cheated on Derek again, she wants to fix her marriage and now I might be getting dragged into one of my own," Erin rubbed her face. She huffed and put her cigarette out, climbing back into bed beside Meredith.

"Okay. Let's talk this through logically," Meredith said.

"No matter what we say or plan, it won't work. When do things ever go to plan with us? We're cursed," Erin said. Meredith chuckled.

"Yeah, we are," she said. They sat in silence for a minute.

"I can't get married. I'm twenty-two, Mermaid. I'm a child. It's ridiculous. I barely know Rob," Erin said.

"Well, yeah, that's one half of it. But you have to think about the other side," Meredith said.

"The other side?" Erin asked.

"How you feel. I get the logic but listen to your heart. We almost died today. If we're going to listen to our hearts, it should be now," Meredith said. Erin hummed.

"I saw Quinn today," she said.

"What?" Meredith asked.

"When Dylan told us to think about someone today, I thought about Quinn. It was like she was there. I was holding her but she wasn't a baby. She was a toddler. She looked like I did when I was a toddler, same hair and eyes. And she said we were brave. And she calls you Mermaid," Erin said. Meredith sighed and wrapped her arms around Erin, kissing her head.

"Was she just as cute as you?" Meredith asked.

"Cuter. Definitely cuter. And she said she loved me. I know it's not real. Quinn died, she's dead and she's in the ground. She wasn't there in that OR with us but I kind of think she was. I think she was watching us and keeping us safe today," Erin said.

"If she's anything like her mother, that's definitely something she'd be doing. You're my guardian angel, Er-bear," Meredith said. Erin smiled and kissed Meredith's cheek.

"You're mine, Mermaid," she said. Meredith smiled and ran her hands through Erin's hair.

"Come on. Bedtime. You've got to ward your boyfriend off tomorrow," she said. Erin groaned but shuffled down so her head was on the pillows.