Eighty four

•i added the photo of what i imagine archie to look like for those who were wondering... the photo is from pinterest and it's only a loose guide as i image archie's eyes to be green like erin's instead but it's close enough <3•

"Dr. Grey, your phone," the nurse said as Erin operated on a kid with a fistula.

"Who is it?" she asked.

"Amelia Shepherd," she said.

"Oh, speaker please," she said. The nurse nodded and put it on speaker.

"Hey, baby Grey!" Amelia said.

"Hey, Mi. What's up?" she asked.

"Are you in surgery?" Amelia said.

"Yeah. Six year old with a fistula," Erin said.

"Ooh, cool," Amelia chuckled. "So, someone called Brooks just left me a message asking if I was willing to donate a nerve for Derek. What's going on?" Amelia said.

"Oh, it's about getting his nerve function back. He wants to use a cadaver nerve but a live nerve will be the best thing. I don't think they meant to call you, or maybe they did. Either way, I think Liz is gonna do it, but I can check and let you know?" Erin said.

"Eh, Derek's an idiot and so is this Brooks, by the sound of it," Amelia said.

"They're not too bad," Erin chuckled.

"I just wanted to see if you knew anything about it 'cause I'd rather ask you than any of them. I'll let you get back to surgery. Give my little man a squeeze from me," she said.

"I will. Thanks, Mi," Erin said.

"See you," Amelia clicked off.

"Thank you," Erin nodded at the nurse. She nodded back. "Suction," she said.

Erin raised her eyebrows as Wilson leaned against the nurses desk beside Erin. Erin had Archie on her hip, filling in charts before she left.

"Dr. Grey?" Wilson said.

"Wilson?" Erin looked at her.

"Can I ask you something?" she said.

"Is this about your ECMO baby? The one with Alex?" Erin asked.

"Yeah," Wilson said.

"Well, shoot," Erin said, putting Archie onto his feet. "Stay here, baby," she said.

"Train?" he asked. Erin handed him a train out of her bag and watched as he ran the train across the side of the desk.

"They left. They just left without the baby like it was nothing," Wilson shook her head in disbelief. "Like he wasn't their baby," she said.

"It happens, Wilson," Erin shrugged. "You get used to it. You're still new to the whole peds thing. You see a lot worse than parents abandoning their kids," she said.

"And you're okay with that?" Wilson said.

"No," Erin shook her head, handing the charts back to the nurses. "It kills me every time you see a baby get abandoned or when parents clearly don't give a shit about their kids. There's people who want to but will never get to be a parent and then there's people like Kimmy who walk away from their chance. It isn't okay but it is what happens," Erin said.

"So, you just learn to get used to it? Over time?" Wilson said. Erin sighed.

"Let me tell you something, Wilson," she said. Wilson nodded, looking at her properly. "Pediatrics is one of the most difficult specialties, physically and mentally. You're working on tiny humans so everything is a lot smaller and more fiddly, but you're also dealing with children and babies. Losing a patient hurts but losing a kid, that's horrific. You don't ever get used to that feeling of losing a child, so you fight to become a better doctor. You fix your mistakes, you come back with a smile bigger than life and you don't give up. No matter how hard this job gets, you keep going because you save more lives than you lose. And seeing a parent's face when you tell them their kid is okay? That makes every bit of hurt worth it," Erin said.