Forty nine

"Your sister is getting married today," Jesse smiled as Erin stumbled downstairs for coffee at five am.

"I know. I managed to persuade Izzie to forget the singing but that's it," Erin said.

"I've never heard you sing before," Jesse wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her softly.

"I know," Erin smiled tiredly, leaning her head against his chest.

"You should sing for me some time," he said.

"I'm surprised Meredith hasn't shoved the home videos down your throat. They're her favourite things ever," Erin said.

"I've seen all of the baby pictures," Jesse grinned. Erin rolled her eyes.

"I was a chubby baby," she said.

"You were a cute baby," he said. "Coffee?" he said. She nodded and he handed her a cup.

"Thank you," she mumbled, taking a hearty sip with a content sigh.

"I need to talk to you," Meredith grabbed Erin as she walked into the residents lounge.

"Hello," Erin smiled.

"I'm not getting married," Meredith said.

"You what?" Erin squeaked. "Is this a mom thing? Or a dark and twisty thing?" she asked. Meredith shook her head.

"We found another tumour. On Izzie's other temporal lobe. It's inoperable. We're gonna give her and Alex the wedding they deserve," Derek said. Erin turned, seeing he was sat on the couch behind the door.

"We're doing a wedding swap?" Erin asked.

"A hell of a big one. And you're Alex's person. So," Meredith trailed off.

"So I need to go and get our groom. I got it," Erin nodded. She hugged Meredith quickly. "We'll give you two the quiet wedding you want," she promised.

"As long as you're there, we don't really care where it is," Derek said. Erin smiled and hugged him as she passed.

"I'll get Alex," she said.

"Go," Meredith smiled.

"Alex," Erin walked to Quinn's bench, seeing Alex sat staring at the headstone.

"Bailey says Shepherd found another tumor in Izzie's brain. Did you hear?" he asked as she sat down. His voice was thick with tears and Erin sighed, wrapping her arm around his shoulders.

"I heard," she said.

"He doesn't think he's gonna get it out this time. I think... I think she's gonna die on me. I think she's really gonna die," his voice cracked. Erin pulled him into her chest, pressing a kiss to his forehead as he cried. He looked up with a frown. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be getting your sister ready for a wedding?" he said.

"Well, that's what I came to talk to you about," Erin said, smiling softly at him. He frowned. "How'd you feel about marrying the girl you love? Having your happily ever after?" she said.

"What about M-"

"It was their idea. So? You gonna marry your girlfriend?" she asked. He stared at her with wide eyes.

"I need a suit," he said.

"I got it sorted out. Let's get you ready," she grabbed him and pulled him inside the hospital to get ready.

Erin stood beside Alex at the top of the church, smiling as the doors swung open. Everyone stood up and Erin gasped as Izzie started walking down the aisle. She looked beautiful and Erin looked at Alex, seeing he had tears in his eyes. She looked back at Izzie, seeing George was now helping her get down the aisle.