Eighty three

The doorbell rang an hour later and Erin moved off the couch, wiping her wet cheeks as she walked over. She pulled it open and blinked a few times to make sure she was seeing Cristina Yang.

"Cristina," Erin said.

"You look like shit," Cristina said, stepping in and pulling a suitcase after her.

"Yeah, feel it, too," Erin sighed, closing the front door over and following Cristina into the living room.

"You weren't at the house that Derek built," Cristina said, using the nickname she and Erin had very cleverly came up with.

"I was comforting my sister," Meredith said. Cristina flopped onto the couch, leaving space for Erin in the middle of them. Erin wriggled into her seat.

"Why are you back?" Erin asked.

"Thomas died," Cristina said quietly. Erin sighed and leaned her head against Cristina's shoulder.

"I can't pretend I'm fine anymore," Erin said.

"We're messes," Meredith said.

"Complete and utter messes," Cristina nodded.

Erin walked into her bedroom the next morning, Archie walking behind her as he babbled about the toy in his hand. Erin had slept on the couch with Meredith and Cristina, the three of them having fallen asleep accidentally after a few hours of chatting shit and catching up.

Arizona was awake and was sat up against the headboard, looking like she hadn't slept at all.

"Mommy!" Archie squealed, racing to the bed. Erin lifted him up and headed back out of the bedroom, going to the bathroom to get a shower.

Once she'd finished in the shower, she headed back to her room. Arizona and Archie were both dressed, with Arizona brushing Archie's hair carefully on the bed.

"I'm coming with you today," Arizona said.

"For the statements for the crash?" Erin raised her eyebrows. Arizona shook her head.

"I, uh, called Dr. Moore last night. I booked an appointment for today," Arizona said. Erin looked at her for a minute and then nodded.

"Okay. You want your crutches or your chair?" she asked.

"Crutches," Arizona said. Erin nodded.

"Just give me ten minutes," she said.

"Take your time," Arizona said, tickling Archie's stomach to make him laugh.

Erin pulled on her underwear, a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, then braided her wet hair back out of her face. She pulled on her glasses and jacket, then found her sparkly pink converse she wore to cheer herself up when she was feeling particularly down.

Arizona's face dropped when she saw them.

"You slept downstairs last night?" Arizona said.

"Cristina turned up. Her mentor died, so she's come home. We ended up talking shit for a few hours. Mer crashed, too," Erin said. She walked to Archie and scooped him off the bed, peppering his face with kisses. "Go and get aunt Mermaid and Zozo, okay?" she said, putting him on the floor.

"Okay, mama," Archie smiled, running out to get them from where they were in the bathroom.

Erin sat on the end of the bed and tied her laces tightly.

"You okay?" Arizona said softly.

"Yeah. I'm fine," Erin nodded.

"It's okay if you're not," Arizona reached out. Erin stood up before Arizona could touch her, already feeling the tears in her eyes.